Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I will start by saying this. I feel AWFUL. I knew that my female was due any day now, and I didn't check on her this morning. I don't know if she's been dealing with this all day, or if it only happened recently. I knew I should have checked on her, but I got so caught up with doing everything else around the house... -sigh-

Anyways, this is my first attempt at breeding mice, and I was very excited by this.

I put my male and female together on July 22nd. I forgot to write down the day that I seperated them, but I realize it was a bit premature... could that be the cause? I'm still very new to this. They were probably together about a week, if not a tiny bit more.

Today is day 24 from first introduction. So she should be close to, if not at full gestation, correct?

I found her this evening, around 6:00pm, with three dead babies. All of them were half eaten.

My biggest concern is that there were only 3. If this was full term and she simply killed them, shouldn't there be more? How can I tell if she's still got more to come? What should I do, now?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I just had a doe give birth to only 4 babies and there was no more.
Depending on which day she took, she should of been at full gestation.
Sorry for your loss

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
She may have eaten the others. She might just be a nervous mother. I've had a doe eat an entire litter, but have several others completely successfully. Sometimes they know something better than us. :/

·
Registered
513 Posts
I just want to point out again, you have nothing to feel bad about! If you had checked earlier and removed the babies, the chances of them surviving hand rearing is very slim and also so much hard work for you. It's 10am and I've been up for an hour and not yet checked my mice, knowing that a couple of does could have given birth over night. Nature is a wonderful but sometimes terrible things and I choose not to interfere, what will be will be and all that. So don't feel bad x

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, guys. :)

Here's a question, though. My doe is pretty skittish. Do you think introducing another doe to her will help her to settle, and possibly prevent this from happening again, if that was her reason for destroying the litter?

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I put an experienced female or two in with a new mother a week before she's due. That gives her enough time to get used to them. If the mother doesn't tend to the babies propperly, then the other females step in :)

But yes, it should help her settle and feel more confident. I've found that mother kill less babies when they're not alone.

Nothing to feel bad about, nature is brutal and you can't always do anything. x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts