Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I feed my mice a mix of commercial diet, wild bird seed mix, oats, small dog kibble and occasional meal worms. Do I need to alter this in anyway to encourage the little ones to start eating solids, they are currently just starting to open eyes but not explore yet.

Thanks in advance

Emma

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, thats easy enough to do have some lactol in the cupboard from my dachshunds litter a few months ago.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
It generally depends for me... usually (But not always) I will give it to females up to the age of 8 weeks, and males up to 10 weeks.
But my boys once grown don't generally see Lactol again unless sickly... my girlies get it when they are expecting and nursing =o)

Willow xx

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I don't generally buy treats like chocolate drops and yogurt drops from pet stores, too full of my sugar from my liking.
For treats I give my mice one or two mealworms or a regular cheerio or millet spray.

But saying that... since mice are pretty much tiny humans, treat are okay aslong as they stay 'treats' lol

Willow xx

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great tips - thanks, I was leaning towards yoghurt drops as my other two seem to like them but I didn't realise about the sugar content other than the obvious lactose of course. I think I will buy some cheerios - that should please the kids as well lol.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I know and its the cuteness that kills me every time - the older girls sit there, claws wrapped around the bars, snouts sticking through, whiskers twitching in anticipation and you just know that if they could they would be saying - 'Oi, wazzak where's our treat?!!' as they start banging the bars with their little tin mugs.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
wazzak... now that is a great insult I have not heard for a LONG time. My dad used to say it all the time! lol
Insults aren't as fun down in londinium! lol

Willow xx

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
If you want a healthy treat they like cooked soya beans too (cheap from health food shops). If you're worried that yours are small and want to bulk them up try adding things like curly kale, cooked egg, cooked turkey/chicken, pasta as treats. They will enjoy them and it can't do any harm :) Also add dry dog food to the mix they get all the time if you don't already.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks for that Mousebreeder. At the moment they are on a mix of mouse muesli, puppy kibble and wild bird seed but I suppose that its because they are so little that I am feeling a little more protective. Before long I will, no doubt, be moaning about what little thugs they are.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I love the wazzak post laughed my head off!!!

what is lactol? Is that the same as dried milk or coffee creamer?
my littlies are just two weeks old-eyes open. they can be seen sitting in the food dish but I dont think they are actually eating anything yet.

Wazzak - killer! :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Mousies eating Cheerios look like they're eating tiny doughnuts. Mine riot for anything that's prepared and starchy; a piece of bread is sure to end up with every meece in the tank attached firmly to it. It's one sure way of getting a picture of everyone in the tank at once.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.