Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help with my fancy mice. They are almost 2 years old and have been experiencing intense itching and realy big open wounds behind the ears and on the back of the neck. They are still eating and drinking, but they seem to be pretty thin. I tried treating them for mites for a few weeks but that doesn’t seem to be helping. I had one mouse pass away from this, and I wanted to know if there is anything different that I can try to help them. The mite treatment helped for a small period of time, but now it just seems to be getting worse. I have tried to use a magnifying glass to see if I could see anything crawling on their skin but I have not been successful with that.

·
Registered
445 Posts
This is likely due to mites or lice because you treat them- kills the adults and nymphs, but the eggs are protected and hatch several days later (cycle restarts). I recommend treating with olive oil.

Why olive oil?
Non-toxic
Cannot damage eyes or ears
Healthy for consumption
Moisturizes skin
Economical

How to treat with olive oil?
Apply olive oil with finger from back of neck down to rump. Wait 5 minutes, the mouse should become complete sticky/soaked in olive oil. If not, re-apply more olive oil. You want the full coat covered in olive oil so that all the parasites die.

How does olive oil affect parasites?
It suffocates them to death.

How often and long should I treat?
You want to treat every 3 days, which is approximately the hatching rate of mites and lice. You want to treat for at least 3 weeks to mitigate re-infestation.

How did I get parasites?
Mice came with parasites and symptoms did not begin to show until elderly age. Parasitic eggs arrived through contaminated bedding (frequent occurrence even with Pet store bedding).

So will this happen regularly?
Potentially, if you ever notice itching in your mice- treat with olive oil as precautionary. It is 100% safe and effective, even though your mice will likely dislike the feeling of being 'wet'.

What about the open wounds?
Apply Neosporin antibiotic ointment with finger or q-tip to open wounds, then proceed with applying olive oil treatment to mouse.

Additional concerns:
If you are holding them during olive oil application, make sure you keep them low to the ground when apply as the mice may shake and/or jump off your hand. After application, ensure to keep the room a warm temperature (at least 68 F) to avoid sickness occurrence. You should also provide additional soft bedding a day AFTER treatment, not the same day because they will use the bedding to remove the oil. I also would change the bedding completely every week (olive oil gets on bedding).

I have used this method on hundreds of mice.

Best of luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
You literally saved one of my older females mouse , the sore are her back was spreading and did not know what to do but now I’m following your directions to a tee and her wounds are healing and fur is growing back they do indeed hate it lol but they get special treats and food when they go back in their cage . I though I was going to have to put her down but I see hope at the end of the tunnel .

Thank you so much !!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts