Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys :D I'm expecting my Purdy to be having babies in about 4 days and I have a couple of newb questions:

When can I change the bedding next, after she gives birth?

When can I put her wheel back in her cage after birth?

I feel like there was more I was planning to ask but I forget. If I remember I'll ask in the comments below. Thanks again guys! You've been a lot of help through all of this :love1

·
Registered
110 Posts
After my does have babies, I wait until the babies all have their eyes open before I clean their cages. I typically don't take the wheel out, and have had does who used the wheel as a house, and had her babies underneath it. Hope this helps, and good luck with the babies. :)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I wait until the litter has their eyes open before cleaning the cage and outting the wheel back in.
Some does dont watch what they are doing when in the wheel and can hurt the babies, so I wait until tey can see before putting the wheel back in.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I clean my cages about once a week, sooner if it gets messy faster, and if a doe is very pregnant, I generally skip it until next week. If it's within 3-4 days after giving birth, I generally skip it again, otherwise I just clean like normal.

As for wheels, my birthing cages are too small for wheels, but once the babies are 3-4 weeks old they move to a larger area with a wheel.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I don't have problems with cleaning the cage at any stage. :p
But it all depends on your female. I think you mentioned before that yours is flighty, so I would avoid cleaning the cage until the babies are covered in fur. By then, the mom will not hurt them usually.
I usually clean around the nest, and leave the litter in the cage where the nest is, and don't disturb it.

As for the wheel, try flying saucers if you're worried about injuries. I've never had trouble with a wheel injuring anyone, especially not babies. :p

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
I do the same partial cleaning in cages with very young babies. And I try to clean the whole cage a few days before the litter is due, and then wait until the pinkies have become fuzzies before I do it again. That way there's only about 10 days between changes. There are exceptions, though; if the doe piles up litter and the water all infiltrates into the bedding, that has got to be changed right away.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I can't stand dirty cages, so this whole baby thing has been a royal pain my butt.

I had a litter born 8 days ago, then a second in that colony born 4 days ago, and there's a third due any day now, so I was trying to figure out when to clean the cage since the last clean out was 13 days ago.

I went in this morning to check on everyone and I couldn't stand it a moment longer, so I cleaned out the whole thing. Now I'm just waiting to see if that was a mistake. :?

·
Registered
834 Posts
doesnt sound good :(

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well, it started out with my broken brindle doe having 10 pups. Early on, she culled the litter to 7, then there were 5, and then there were 3. At first, I thought she was just a lousy mom, but then I started thinking she didn't have enough milk to go around, because 4 days after she had her pups, the red (apparently) unmarked brindle in her colony cage delivered 11 pups. Two were very small sickly from the outset and died quickly on their own. The red unmarked brindle seemed to take over all of the nursing duties and the broken brindle was acting more as a nanny, along with the third doe in that cage, and things were going well. Or so I thought.

When the first litter was 11 days old, the broken brindle doe up and died. She was perfectly fine, acting normal, and being silly when I went through to say good morning, then about 3 hours later when I went in to tidy up a bit (I have a *thing* about cleaning.. :lol: ) she looked like she was asleep on top of one of the hides, but she was actually dead. She never showed me any signs of acute illness and was trying VERY hard to be a good mom/nanny, so then I started wondering if maybe she was older than I was led to believe and meant to be a Granny not a Mom. But those are all what ifs that I'll never know the answers to, so we said goodbye to her, thanked her for being in our lives, and then moved on.

Meanwhile, over the course of the week, the remaining 9 pups from the unmarked doe became 7, then it became 5, but I kept finding whole dead babies rather than cannibalized partial bodies that I'd been finding before. I couldn't see any obvious problems, so I just increased the nutrition for the red Mom and kept tabs on them. A few days ago, I started noticing that as the older babies (almost 2 weeks old at that point, with eyes open) were kicking the little ones out of the nest and hogging the mom and her milk. So, I started moving the 2-week-olds out to a play-pen for a good portion of the day, and offering them some soft solids to eat, that way the little babies could have the Mom to themselves and nurse.

It seemed to be working, until yesterday, when the red doe started looking a bit "off." By this morning, it was apparent she had a URI kicking up. I treated it, but I guess with all the babies, nursing, and whatnot, she was too weak to fight it off and it progressed rapidly. She died a few hours ago and now I'm left with a litter of 3 14-day-old orphans and 5 10-day-old orphans that look more like week-olds. I have one non-lactating nanny taking care of all 8 of the babies, but feeding is an issue. The older litter is doing ok and holding their weight with soft/semi-soft solid foods and supplemental syringe feedings. But I'm also trying to salvage what I can of the younger litter, and as I'm sure mousers more experienced than I would predict - that ain't going well. :(

·
Registered
834 Posts
awww how sad, i hope you manage to save some would be a shame to lose so many after trying so hard all the best and let us know how its going.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's terrible, I wonder what happened to begin with. I hope you're able to save some too! Good luck and make sure you keep us updated on how they're doing :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts