Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been wondering about this for a few months and it only just clocked that i could ask on here!

Is there any chances of transporting Fancy Mice from England to Perth-Aus?
I'm thinking of moving to aus, and i want to take the meece with me.

Also, does anyone know how much the colours and genetics differ from Breeding stock in the UK?

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
A few years ago I looked into shipping some mice to Australia to help improve type in Australian lines. Unfortunately, because of Australia's unique mammals and other wildlife and the potential for escaped imports to cause massive destruction to Australia's native flora and fauna (as the European rabbit has done in recent decades), it is permanently illegal to import all non-cat/dog mammals into Australia, other than in the case of approved zoos or laboratories. :(

The laws might have changed in the last few years, but I doubt it. It might also be possible to ship from the UK (I'm in the US), but the people I spoke to in Australia basically told me it was absolutely impossible, and they weren't very friendly to learn that I was trying to ship rodents into their country. That's how I learned about the millions of dollars in damage caused by the European rabbit (not a rodent, but they didn't seem to know that...).

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i looked it up a bit and i asked some family in aus, and they all said that it couldn't be done, but i was just wondering incase anyone had contacts that could deliver exceptions (big wishes!)
do you know anything about the colours out there? or is it the same as in the UK?
and so they have fancy AND show mice?

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I haven't been to Australia so all I can say I've been told or gathered online. It's my impression that most (or all) mice in Australia are what Britons (or Americans) would consider "pet type." Even in Australian shows, much less of an emphasis is placed on type and conformation than in UK or US shows.

For example, this page: http://www.ausrfsnsw.com/images/pdfs/au ... %202.2.pdf

doesn't even mention type. It talks only about coat and color, which confused me...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts