Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive read alot on here about trama and gas culling. both it seems can sometimes go wrong.
is it not possable to cull a mouse by electric shock? surely this would be a much more reliable method and could not possably be faster and there for more pain free to the mouse. aslong as the volts are high enough i guess.
i was just thinking, this is the aparently humain way that chickens are slaughted so it may work for mice too.
any ideas if this method would be the best and if so, how to do it?

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Not so sure on mice, I would imagine it could cook them with being so little :eek:
But you can get a rat zapper that's basically a little box they walk into and zap. Only problem is you can't force them in it you have to wait for natural curiosity to get the better of them. Mainly used in a pest control way.
Chickens use electrified water baths that the head is dunked in, or they used too, been many years since I have been in a chicken factory. Pretty dangerous thing to try and set up for yourself.
Personally having tried many methods, for me trauma to the head works the quickest, what some would term the swing, even known it to be called the bishop. And even a novice once shown really can't get it wrong.
Most other methods require extra space, items, expense.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Animals that are electrically stunned have their throats cut afterwards to bleed them - otherwise they will regain consciousness. (This is the definition of 'slaughter' - death by bleeding out).

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. ill try the trama thing then. got an old mouse needing putting down. just looks in pain all the time and i cant seem to cure her :( swing it is

·
Registered
543 Posts
If done quickly and firmly there is really no more effective way of ensuring the mouse does not suffer than manual culling. The essential thing is to be 100% commited to doing it in one go. The only times I have seen this method fail is when someone has simply lacked conviction and not used enough force. I know this is a full on method from the human perspective, but from the mouses its over before its aware of anything happening. I do it literally without a squeek.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well it works. i actually do think its the most pain free way to go for them, having done it twice now with no probs

·
Registered
623 Posts
I am an Electrician, Fully qualified and registered with the National Inspection Councill for Electrical installation Contractors. Seriously, I will say this to all non electrical people on here,Don't. I have swung a great deal of mice in my time, it is incredibly easy and never fails. Pinkies are also incredibly easy to do. It is absolutely instant. I consider any other method to be insufficient.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol! i mean the swing method. dont worry im not zapping them to death. seemed a good idea untill you all explained to me that it wouldnt really work. yep, swings best

·
Registered
623 Posts
My concern was for the fact that it takes a tiny amount of current to stop a Human Heart.If you wanna see what a lot of current will do to a human, research it yourself on You Tube. When I start getting a bit conceited and familar at work, I occasionally have a looksie.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts