Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a specimen of Dynastes tityus (Eastern Hercules beetle, Rhinoceros beetle), one of the largest beetles of Kentucky. Beside a 5-week old mouse for size comparison. :)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, he was alive. I let him go.

Are the horns broken off or was it female? Females don't have horns.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're pretty awesome, aren't they? At first, I had half a mind to freeze and preserve him but he was so very alive I couldn't make myself do that. I've tried attracting/collecting various species of exotic-looking inverts before, but it figures I'd find this one on the sidewalk as I was walking to work! :lol:

The mouse had no idea what it was. :p

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Mine is broken. ):
There is the horn on top, intact, and then the one on the 'nose' is broken about half way up.
They're really rare here, but they do show up every now and again.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you tried a UV light? If you take a UV light and put wire mesh about 2" in front of it on all sides (there are a bunch of ways to build such a contraption), and use it in the middle of summer (such as now) you'll catch many different kinds of beetles. If you've ever seen a "bug zapper" that's basically the idea, but you don't want it to fry your bugs.

I don't think Hercules beetles are particularly rare in Kentucky. I found two yesterday. This living guy, plus a dead female.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Fascinating! I might just try that.
I've never really tried to capture them, I usually just get lucky and find dead ones while I'm scavenging for other things. :D

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha! I've captured some really weird bugs at night using a UV light. June, July, and August are the best months in our part of the woods. But they do fly away so you have to stay up all night and check it every half hour or so. :p

There's a species of beetle in Kentucky which is longer than this type, but not as heavy. I don't know what it's called, but it's iridescent purplish black and thin. It almost looks like it's been squashed. Because it's so big, it has a very awkward way of flying. lol

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
That is a really cool looking beetle! Of course if I ever saw one in real life, I would squeal, have a moment of panic, and swiftly walk away! I don't kill things, never really have.

Even some things i like, I don't like touching me... example: About 3 weeks ago, i was stood outside my laundry room at around 11pm, because it was quite warm, I had no shoes on, and a toad jumped on my foot. I FREAKED out! To the point that my partner ran downstairs because she thought i was hurt.
And i like toads and frogs! hehehe

W xx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha!

Well, when I showed Jenny she said "Oh my God, is that thing real?" Then when I said yeah, that I was planning on letting it go, she responded, "You mean it's alive?" I think she even said I was a freak for picking it up. :lol:

The good thing is, they only eat decaying fruit and other vegetable matter. :p

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
I love beetles and if it wasn't for the fact that their life is almost done when they are at their best I'd have some.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I did some research and apparently this guy was on his way out most likely.

I see their grubs all the time. They have a knack for burrowing into my compost.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Man, I'd be worried about that thing eating the mouse! I'm not much of a bug person. First time I saw a potato bug, I freaked out and thought it was some kind of tailess scorpian (I was a kid, give me a break! :lol: ).

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Scorpions are cool too (though not insects, hehe)!

Out of all the main "scary" animals (spiders, scorpions, snakes, mice, rats), the only ones I have a natural fear toward are snakes, but only if they surprise me (like Willow's toad!). :p

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Why aren't bears on your list...? Oh, are you talking about small scary animals? Or the "creepy crawly" scary kind of animals. LOL, the only reason I thought about bears is because even though I respect them, we had a bear scare my first year of girls' camp... I was 12, for for that reason, I fear bears even more than say... mountain lions...

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Well, they're big and really strong and dangerous, so I'd say most people, if it's not exactly fear, have a good, healthy wish not to tangle with one. I'm just saying if I'm hiking, I'd rather stumble on a mountain lion than a bear. But I do have a fear of rattle snakes. Specifically, I'm afraid I'm going to be riding my horse down the trail one day, and she's going to get bitten, and there's no way to get treatment to her on the remote trails.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts