Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been rescuing small animals for as long as I can remember but last year saw the first ratties coming through the rescue, I re-homed them but not before I fell in love with them!

Since then I've had a few come in for re-homing but I've not been tempted (much) to keep them as I've reserved some blue dumbos - I'm finally collecting them this week and I can't wait.

Does anyone else have ratties???

·
Registered
77 Posts
D'= <3 So gorgeous!
If I ever had rats again I would want those ones! :lol:
The one furthest on the right is my favourite just by looking.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I quite like the hairless ones too - they have "grown" on me :lol:

But my animals live in a shed, it's insulated (and heated in winter) but I'm not sure I'd be happy to have furless babies living in there :?

Sadly wouldn't be able to keep them indoors as I have 3 very curious cats :roll: and much as I love them they really are pains in the you-know-wots lol

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
they would be fine outside with a good nest box but they are best not kept in the same cage as hairy ones as their skin gets scratched.Stranegely hairless mice don't seem to get scratched skin,perhaps it's that rats are stronger and rougher.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh right okiay, thanks for that. I'm going to collect the blue ratties first them I'm going to meet the nudy bums :lol: have to get one for my friend but may very well be tempted into one (or 2) for myself now that you've said I could keep them in my posh shed ;)

hmmmm will have a think about that :)

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
The best health advice I can give you for hairless is get them used to having their nails cut.Just take the tip off once a fortnight and then they will have lovely skin.If you don't they will look bloody and scratched and even though it's only superficial you'll be ashamed to show anyone.Of course rats that live alone :cry: won't get scratched.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a really good idea with the nails, I have some very "high maintenance" animals like a blind and deaf guinea pig with only 2 teeth and keep growing wonky so they need regular attention.

Mind you I have the majority of my animals out so much it's amazing they remember what their cages look like :lol:

I'll let you know tomorrow how I get on looking at the nudy bums :)

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had THE BEST day out ever bought home far too many furries - anyway without further ado here is Ratbag.......

And introducing his new best friend Pancake who is a present for my daughter who has always wanted a naked rat

And amazingly this little fella managed to find his way into the boys carrier too........

I really only wanted the ONE (if any!) but that would have left this little man all by his lonesome :cry: so I've bought him here and the plan is to get him a little friend and then a new home, but we'll see how we go with that plan ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.