Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I know for a fact you can get 'gremlins', which have one normal ear and one 'dumbo' ear. But people thought this was connected to limb deformities...and although there's no definitive proof as of yet, they're not well liked.
I've heard of proper dumbos, though never seen one, or seen a picture of one. Would LOVE to. :lol:

EDIT: I lie...I just did a google search and found one. No idea about the genetics, but it's there...go look for yourselves. =]

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've heard of some genetic abnormality which may well have been selectively bred for since that causes the mice to have really low set ears so giving them the appearance of dumbo rats. I've never seen one face to face though.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
i get brokens with one dumbo ear crop up frequently.The reason is I breed literally hundreds and oddities are bound to crop up.I would be sceptical of a pet breeder having dumbo eared mice since the down side of breeding so many is the need for culling and understandably people who regard their mice as pets are not going to want to cull.If its a feeder breeder or exhibitor it could be true.I've never tried to propagate them as I am only interested in the markings for showing.I would imagine it to be relatively easy if you were prepared to breed hundreds and cull the excess.I have at least two of these one dumbo eared mice at the moment.I shall root them out later and post a picture.Whilst on about oddities I also get brokens with pretty pastel grey eyes but I dont have any interest in reproducing them and somebody else I spoke to used to get the odd mouse with one pink and one black eye,brokens again.Quite like the sound of those.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had suspended my belief in dumbo mice until now as I had not heard of them anywhere other than on just one website, the Mousedom Mousery site.

I think they are sooo unbelievably cute!! That astrex dumbo has got to be one of the cutest mice I've ever seen.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts