Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does everyone here go about determining the type and quality in their babies? I don't have shows near by to go and get a better idea what my mice lack so I'm having a hard time sorting the litter. Like where should ear placement be or in does is a narrower head acceptable or is a broad one preferred. Any suggestions appreciated

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
If you're looking at babies still in the nest, I pick the ones with the broadest heads and the thickest tails (at the base, near the rump). Some people use the whiskerbed as a method of judgment--the wider the whiskerbed, the less pinched the snout.

If they're all equal in qualities or if you can't really distinguish minor differences (sometimes it's hard to do, especially on small babies), relying on size alone is probably your best bet since larger babies will naturally have wider heads and thicker tails.

One other note. The more inbred the mice, the more consistent the qualities, whether bad or good. So on mice who've been inbreed for 20 generations you won't see as much variation in terms of type as you would in mice who are at the F1 or F2 generation of an outcross. Many petstore mice are the products of rodent mills and have been inbred for dozens or hundreds of generations and don't show much variation in type, although they do show some.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts