Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I do? Just this minute found my little grey buck lying on his back and stiff :cry: I dont usually get them out during the day, I get them out when they come active so I dont know how it happened or when or anything. He was under a tube so all I can think of was he fell off the bottle and onto the tube and banged his head. :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its awful and the worst part is my mum is blaming me for it saying I must have done something- but he was in the cage all day and he was in the cage laid on his back when I found him, I went looking cos he didnt come out. And to top it off one of the PEW bucks is chuffing and clicking. None of the others are. Is it possible the chuffing is caused by my mum spraying loads of rubbish in my room from pet deoderizer to stuff to spray on the carpet even though Ive told her not to or to at least shift them for a few hours while it settles because I know they are sensitive- I dont even spray deoderant on myself in the room or anything like that. I know its not the bedding because they live on A4 paper, tissue and tp rolls. I think Im going to be keeping the bucks at least at this stage. Id rather know they were being looked after by me, and I can ask for advice on here. Not that I liked my mums 'sell them to a pet shop' idea. No offence to pet shops, but I dont like that theres a big chance they could become feeders or wind up dead because the new owner doesnt know anything. Ive highlighted the important bits because I have rambled a bit.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
I think the chuffing is more likely to be illness but your mums spraying could be to blame.For instance febreeze used to be toxic to parrots .It may still be I don't know because I have birds and won't entertain it.My dogs have also had bad reactions to shake and vac but then they are in direct contact with the carpet.On the other hand it may have been born with something wrong.Things often don't show up until the young start to become independant.As the support from the mother reduces and particularly when they suckle no more any that can't go it alone die.Thats also the reason puppies and kittens don't need innoculating until they are weaned,whilst they are suckling they receive antibodies from the mother and aren't so susceptable to illness.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well they have been away from mum for just 2 weeks so it makes sense that things would show up now, and with the heat with my grey buck being long haired. Ive decided to keep at least the bucks and the girl I was going to keep anyway and it would be possible to keep the girls together if they get ill too (planned in advance lol) is a 15l RUB big enough for 3 bucks?

I think maybe your right when you say something could have already been wrong with my chuffing buck as I guess if it was mum spraying they would all be doing it- but I do think its a contributing factor. I knew she sprayed my carpet every now and again because of my dog but I didnt know she had been gassing my room with sprays and shes placed one of those scented things outside my door (she hates the smell of rodents)

she uses: 'xanto whoops pet stain and odour remover mousse' and some sort of room spray (Ill ask her what it is when she gets home from work)

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
I don't use rubs so can't comment on the size being suitable.However if they turn out to be fighters no cage will be big enough,if they don't the usual sort of sizes, in my case 50cm cages will be fine.You'll have to see how things pan out.Good luck with them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.