Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this morning I culled the boys from the black tan litter, brought the litter size down to five females.

Was feeling guilty about that, then I had to go and euth all the girls in my communal tank :( 3/4 were sniffling, and I knew I'd have to cull at some point to keep the rest clear, but I was very attached to Donna (my original mouse) so I kept them hanging. Donna died this afternoon so it was time for the rest to go :(

Bye bye mousies :(

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
RIP D:
I had to cull a bunch of my favorite meece a while back because of resp diseases ):

·
Registered
543 Posts
More has been said and written about "sniffles" in mice than about any other aspect of their husbandry. I would always give the affected mouse/mice a chance to recover. Isolation is the 1st step, and if, after a while there is no improvement or it worsens, then there is no alternative. I know from experience that they do sometimes recover. I gave a black doe to a user of this forum last year, and though she developed ths "sniffles", and had it for weeks/months it did stop and the mouse was right as rain, and still is.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
If it is just 'sniffles' I treat them. Or at least try to!

I only cull straight away when it is obvious the mouse is very sick, typical outward signs being arched back, hollow looking stomach and blown fur.

W xx

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This was more than 'sniffles' - Donna had marked suppurative pneumonia and the two Siamese females I could hear breathing in the next room. Donna was the last of the petshop mice; her two sisters died of the same thing so it was only a matter of time, and then the other three girls shared the same airspace so once Donna was showing clinical signs they followed pretty quickly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts