Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first litter of astrex are due soon and I'm really excited - the enormous asxtrex buck I had from Jake at Yankee Doodle has been in with one of my enormous pew does.

I'm not planning on keeping any of the "straight" mice as I really only want to run on the curlys themselves but please let me know if you'd like a straight doe (or buck) so I can run extra/s on?? They will (of course) be curly carriers and the gene is dominent so there's an excellent chance they'll throw curlys when put to a curly.

Anyway let me know otherwise I will sort out the litters as and when they arrive........I AM VERY EXCITED :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
they won't be curly carriers then, if the gene is dominant. Can't carry a dominant gene ;)

can't wait to see babies!

Vi x x x

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just checked and I am pretty sure I have 3 does and 2 bucks lol oh well I'm sure I can find them girlfriends :lol:

best news is the darkest one is a doe and she's lovely, they look slightly crinkled but it might just be the way they were laying if someone's had astrex bubs before could they let me know what I should be looking for lol :?

·
Registered
13 Posts
hiya I have got some astrex from jake and I have got about 4 litters at the minute including some rumpwhite astrex I am working on, and I have got dove tan, cham tan, silver tan and a dark one I think is pink eyed lilac tan.
I usually look at the wiskers to see if they are
astrex, they should be crinkly but I have found that when astrex is paired to normal coat the curliness can suffer some what and they might take a while longer to curl than an astrex to astrex mating
well thats just what I have found anyway, but every mouse is different so some one else may have a different experience :D
but I do love astrex

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
The best astrex are the ones that keep their curls the longest. This will be your biggest struggle as by 6 weeks their coats start to straighten out and just look dishevelled!

·
Registered
13 Posts
some of my astrex that have one astrex parent and one normal, have started curly and now look normal coated very smooth and apart from wiskers being a bit long they are not curled, its funny how genes work :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
possibly from what I can see I think all could be astrex, but they won't have the greatest curl to there coats, once you get mating astrex to astrex they get really curlly from young age but unfortunatley still end up just looking disshevelled it is my dream to breed an astrex that stays curly for ever :lol: I can hear cait laughing now :D

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cloverstud said:
it is my dream to breed an astrex that stays curly for ever :lol: I can hear cait laughing now :D
yes me too and let's not give up I don't mind people laughing at least we're making people happy along the way lol :lol:

these ones will go straight back to a direct asxtrex buck that should help, I'm hoping in 5-6 generations to have improoved type AND curl maintenance I will cross everything anyway.

but I have some texels to play with too which I'm thinking of putting to satins - that should keep curls better but we WILL improove the astrex don't you worry :cool: I am a determined little sod ;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
They all look curly to me. And I bred 2 texels together once, and I kept one of the bucks that I still have. He has kept his curls since he was born in march. So I plan to breed him to another texel if I ever get one haha

1 - 20 of 40 Posts