Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've read every thread in this section and as I understand it the "best" methods of culling depend on the ages of the pinkies/fluffs right?

So pups 3-7 days should be put in the freezer / thrown on floor (still can't imagine doing it)
Anything fluffy or with eyes open right up to adults should be gently put to sleep with CO2 method.......

Have I got this right?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use the floor every time with everything, just make sure the floor is hard, no lino or mats even wooden floors require extra force to do it right. best thing is a patio slab or concrete floor.
To do it right the only advice I can give is to try and throw through the floor and not at it.
If in doubt don't do it, confidence is key.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I culled my first adult today using a physical method. It was a doe which is actually wasnt very old but had had a litter already but she developed a head tilt and was spinning. I usually send all my mice to a friends who has snakes and she is obviously very experienced with it. I used the same method she has told me about before which is holding the base of the tail and hitting the head/neck on a hard surface.

The first swing I think I tried not to look and of course missed the edge of the surface I was aiming for, lucky really because I dont think I had swung hard enough. Second time I did it properly and was surprised at my own strength and pleased that it was a very effective method.

I'm quite pleased with myself in a strange way and definately think I can do it in the future in emergencies.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I wish we had the guts to cull. Not babies, but the older or sick mice like yours Ian. As originally we took on lots of "rescue" mice theyre now all really old, some are 2 years plus, and they all seem to be going out in a drawn out, painful fashion. And each time we have to go to the vet, and its £10 a trip, just to do the same job you lot do at home, probably with less stress. We have one doe at the moment who used to be longhaired, now is totally bald (not mites as theyre all treated regularly and theres no sign) and squeaks constantly, and I know well have to take her to the vet in the next few days :( Maybe we just get too attached? Or were cowardly, I dont know

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ian just a note of advice,
Beware of the tail swing and back of head method as it can go wrong in a few ways and if it happens to you you won't like it,
I strongly suggest you try to put the mouse through the floor back first without any hesitation, if in any doubt do not use the phyisical method at all because if it goes wrong you won't feel good.

I cull everything via the floor or table top and guess I have become relaxed over it so I no longer think about it, after all I can cull a good 20-30 sometimes 50 pinks and fluffs some weeks plus a fair few adults aswell but that's the price I pay for trying to re-establish a lost breed.

The method you used can go wrong very easily as in :- just clip the nose which results in a lot of blood spray or a snapped tail which can result in you chasing an injured mouse around.........not good.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Peteyandthegang said:
I wish we had the guts to cull. Not babies, but the older or sick mice like yours Ian. As originally we took on lots of "rescue" mice theyre now all really old, some are 2 years plus, and they all seem to be going out in a drawn out, painful fashion. And each time we have to go to the vet, and its £10 a trip, just to do the same job you lot do at home, probably with less stress. We have one doe at the moment who used to be longhaired, now is totally bald (not mites as theyre all treated regularly and theres no sign) and squeaks constantly, and I know well have to take her to the vet in the next few days :( Maybe we just get too attached? Or were cowardly, I dont know
I know exactly how you feel because I've just endured "culling" my first litters over the past 5 days and I haven't slept very well with what I've done. Although the freezer method is relatively "painless" it still weighs heavily on my heart, at what I've done you know?

I really don't think I'm going to be able to do away with anything that has eyes (open) it was hard enough taking warm wrinkly babies out of the nest let alone havig to actually harm them too.

If that makes me a coward then yes, I am one.

Having said that I have some very old guinea pigs who are dearly loved members of our family, I'm really hoping that when the time comes I'll be able to do something here at home rather than put them through the stress of taking them out of the only home they've ever known, into a strange environment to have some total stranger try to inject straight into their heart which they don't always manage first time :cry:

The last cavy I had pts I swore would be the last as she cried out in agony I determined never to put one of my pets through that again. I just hope I can go through with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I totally understand, and relate to all your experiences. I learn't to cull mice when I was keeping snakes as a means to provide a reliable supply of food. It didn't help that I also had two owls that needed mice as well.
Anyway, one of my college lectures taught me how to cull adults using the manual method i.e. holding mouse by back of tails and hitting the back of its head on a sharp edge. This came with all the discussed issues, but out of all the methods I have had contact with (did not know how to make a gas chamber) this is the one that I still use, but rigid application of a set protocol means that I have not had any injured or messy mice in a very long time.
During the years that I have been involved with animal care I did manage to learn a couple of other methods that work well and may be easier for some people to use.

1. Adult mice, put on a ridged surface, something they can get a grip on like a towel. hold the base of the tail and put a pencil over the back of the neck, push down, and pull on the tail till you feel the neck break. This method is effective and used in the labs alot.

2. Pinkies, upto about 8-9 days only, Pinch the back of the skull, causing instant brain trauma and death, never fails and it is the only way that I can kill pinkies and early fluffs now.

As to the lousy feeling after culling I am afraid that it does not go away, or at least it hasnt for me, but I make an effort to reming mey self that is its for the good of the breed,, mother and more importantly gives the remaining pinkies the best chance. It goes along way to making me feel better :|

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
dingbat said:
Adult mice, put on a ridged surface, something they can get a grip on like a towel. hold the base of the tail and put a pencil over the back of the neck, push down, and pull on the tail till you feel the neck break. This method is effective and used in the labs alot.
I found this very easy and quick thanks for the info :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts