Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to try breeding my corn snakes this season. It was really easy and now the female is due to lay eggs any day now. I will post pictures of the eggs when I get them. Zim is over 400g and is about 4ft long. She is about 3.5 years old. Sram is over 250g, and about 3ft long. We don't know his age.

Zim, Snow Female

Sram (his name spells Mars backwards), Normal Male

Zim is spending the majority of her time in her egg box so we should have some action soon. :) Next season I plan on breeding her to a Charcoal male (haven't gotten him yet). :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Yea my ball pythons are not breeding well this season so I'm hoping I at least get some nice babies from this pair. The male was sold to me as a hypo, but I have talked to a few breeders and the majority of them say he is not a hypo. I would love to get into more geckos in the next few years. Leopard geckos, crested geckos, and fat tail geckos are on my list!

·
Registered
110 Posts
The majority of what didn't breed this year was ball pythons for us too. We are still waiting on our black rat snakes, and a pair of corns, hoping that MAYBE by some miracle, something will pop out. lol. We have leopard geckos as well as our fat tails, but haven't put any together recently. We attempted a pair of our red tails late last year, with no results, but i think our male was still a little under breeding weight. And I think thats part of the problem with our pythons too, most of our females were teetering on the edge of being breedable, so maybe they just weren't ready this year.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! No eggs from her this morning, but I've got my eye on her. She was curled up in her egg box. I could take a few pictures of that while I wait for eggs. I will try to take some pics when I get home from work and post them up. :) Corn snakes are one of those animals I say if you can have one, get one. They are amazing animals and definitely one of my favorites. Zim was my first snake and she is such a doll. Very mellow and great to handle. She will eat anything you put in front of her face. :lol:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! Morph is a word used for individuals who have a genetic coloration or pattern that is different from the normal wild type. Corn snakes come in tons of colors and patterns. :) I'm on egg watch from now on. I'm firing up the incubator tonight so I'm ready.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Corn snakes are awesome. You should get one! I house an adult corn snake in a 20g Long tank or I keep them in a rack. The tubs are considered 41qt tubs.

I have been told that corn snakes will not maternally incubate their own eggs and that you have to incubate them yourself. I am incubating them at 82 degrees F.

And NewsFlash! Zim is currently laying her eggs!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Im also planning to breed my corns for the first time. But here spring is just coming, and I dont think they have mated yet. Well I havent been watching them day and night so who knows what they have been up to when Im not aroung..
Anyway, the female is normal, and the male is snow. I also have another female, but she wont be big enough until next year.
Im really worried if I can du the incubating correctly, getting the right moisture and temperature, Im sure I get something wrong. :(

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You keep them together for long periods of time? To breed mine, I kept them at room temperature for a while (70-72) and then began introducing the male. I only put them together for short periods of time (15-20 minutes) and if nothing happened, I took him out. After a few tries of this, Sram finally went after her. Lined himself up and they mated. It took less than 10 minutes for him to lock up with her and they spent about 10-15 minutes together. After they were done, I separated them. I let them lock up 3 times and here I am, eggs landing as we speak.

So far she has 4 good eggs and 4 slugs (infertile eggs)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Im so going to talk my husband into letting me get a corn snake :)
I've been looking at the morphs they came in, and Ive found several I really like.

I know alot of reptiles wont incubate their own eggs, but I was just wondering about corn snakes

Congrats on the eggs :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Momma snake is all done laying her eggs and is chowing down on a mouse now. Most of the eggs are infertile, but I found at least 3-4 good ones with strong veins. This is her first clutch of eggs, so I wasn't expecting much. Should be better next season. :)

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Are corn snakes smaller than ball pythons? I have a ball, about four feet long and a little less thick than my fist (doesn't help, relatively, but I've never weighed him) and I was think about another snake, but something a little smaller. My ball is 14 years old, we've had him since he was 9 inches long.

·
Registered
310 Posts
fuzzymom said:
Momma snake is all done laying her eggs and is chowing down on a mouse now. Most of the eggs are infertile, but I found at least 3-4 good ones with strong veins. This is her first clutch of eggs, so I wasn't expecting much. Should be better next season. :)
how long do the eggs take to hatch?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes, I house the male and female together, I have very little space here, breeding mice and hamsters and rats and leopard geckos... I have heard that snakes breed easier if they dont live together, but they also say that usually they breed anyway. It's not that important if they breed anyway, but it would be fun if they did.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.