Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this should probably go in the health section, but I really need help ASAP.

I have a mouse, that has never been particularly large. He was the runt of the litter, but has other wise seemed healthy. but today I looked in the cage and his stomach is majorly contorted! I'll try to take a picture. I'm worried about his health, but he was also in a cage with 3 of his brothers. I'm worried it may be something that is contagious, and if so I'd like to treat them before they are effected. Depending on what it is ill decide what to do with the little guy...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was going to suggest megacolon as well, the shape and location is where his LI would normally rest.. If it is, he's probably in extreme pain (or will be within the next few days), and should be euthanized ASAP... :( Since it's genetic, you might want to keep an eye on his littermates and his other relatives as well.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I think the best option is euthanasia. ):
Weather it's a tumor, or megacolon, both are gonna end up being fatal, and causing a lot of pain.

Poor mousie. <3

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I kind o figured I would have to put him down, but I was more worried it was something like worms that could get to other mice. his stomach isn't fat or bloated, it kind of just looks like everything inside of it has been shifted and made a lump pattern in this shape: \) I figured it had something to do with his organs, but could it possibly be something like worms?

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
No, that's not worms. Worms just look like a round potbelly on a skinny mouse. It looks cancer to me, I'm afraid.

If you were really curious and not too squeamish, there's nothing stopping you doing an autopsy? Then you'll know for sure. Totally up to you though, I know autopsies aren't for everyone!!

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
They're pretty easy to do though. If you need some guidance, I can help you out, IF you think you'd like to do one.

I've been wondering if I should do a mouse autopsy tutorial of some sort. . .
It's a really gross thing, but it would probably be really helpful to people, to see it done by someone who knows what they're doing, before they go cutting into their mouse, and end up upsetting themselves, or cutting something they're really not supposed to.

Although, I don't know if there's an appropriate place to post that. :roll:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Rhasputin said:
They're pretty easy to do though. If you need some guidance, I can help you out, IF you think you'd like to do one.

I've been wondering if I should do a mouse autopsy tutorial of some sort. . .
It's a really gross thing, but it would probably be really helpful to people, to see it done by someone who knows what they're doing, before they go cutting into their mouse, and end up upsetting themselves, or cutting something they're really not supposed to.

Although, I don't know if there's an appropriate place to post that. :roll:
I think that is a good idea, some people can do it and you can learn from it. I think the culling forum is a likely place to be appropriate.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I was wondering if the culling section would be appropriate. I would probably post links to all of the photos, and not put them up directly. That way, people can click on them if they want to, and nobody mistakenly sees any pictures that they do not want to see. Maybe I'll work on doing a tutorial. And at the very least, if I cannot post it there, I can have it on hand to give to anyone who thinks that they may need to use it. :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Good idea, good to be able to have access to it is someone needs to :)

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
I think a tutorial on autopsy would be a great thing.

And I agree that the poor mousie is sick and needs to be pts; it has to megacolon or some kind of intestinal blockage.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I definitely think I may want to do an autopsy because I want to know exactly what is wrong so if i see it again I know what exactly it is... so yes please help me.
Is it wrong that whenever I think of an autopsy that I think of the movie music and lyrics? I'm not so squeamish...I don't know how many animals I have dissected from bio classes :/
Should I freeze him first?

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
You can freeze him if you'd like. Or do it right away.

I can do a photo tutorial tomorrow on a mouse that I have in the freezer, if you want to hold out until tomorrow after noon.
I'll dissect the mouse to the point where you can see all of the organs, and what they are supposed to look like normally, so that you can open yours up, and find out exactly which part of the mouse is effected.
If you don't have these things on hand, you will want to go out and buy an exacto knife, with a pointed triangular tip, and some gloves, and some pins.

Freezing him will be fine. And you can keep him there, until you feel comfortable doing the autopsy. :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK thank you very much :] I live in a hands on art/craft/workshop house, so believe it or not I already have everything I need. Thank you so much!. I'm sure the tutorial is really something everyone can benefit from :]

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I hope so. :lol:
I know there are -some- forums that wouldn't even allow me to talk about doing something like this, but it's a perfectly great way to save money (It can cost HUNDREDS to get a necropsy from the vet), and you are not endangering an animal, and you are learning in the process.

I'll be sure to get the pictures up tomorrow, as soon as I can.
You have access to the culling section, right? :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts