Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a black roan female I recently picked up from a friend. If I were to breed her with my brown long haired piebald male, would I get any interesting coat patterns? Is there even a way to know without knowing either of their genetic histories? Is it worth experimenting?

·
Super Moderator
2,660 Posts
Depends on your goals. If you want mice of mixed genetics and surprise babies, then yes! If you want any certainty to your litters, definitely not. I can't say what you will get, my genetic knowledge is ok, not excellent. Almost certain that your roan and piebald will carry a plethora of other genes though, so results could be almost anything. Let us know what you get.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on your goals. If you want mice of mixed genetics and surprise babies, then yes! If you want any certainty to your litters, definitely not. I can't say what you will get, my genetic knowledge is ok, not excellent. Almost certain that your roan and piebald will carry a plethora of other genes though, so results could be almost anything. Let us know what you get.
Interesting, I am just starting out on breeding mice. I’ve already raised one litter from a female I didn’t even know was pregnant. I am definitely breeding mostly for temperament and health. Although where I am color is what sells unfortunately so I do have to bear that in mind. Luckily both mice I plan to breed are very well natured and healthy. Any advice for breeding would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2,660 Posts
Nothing much difficult about breeding, put them together and they will do the rest. It's all about your goals. I come from an exhibition background so breeding is quite disciplined. I'm now breeding for hobby purposes and it's much more relaxed withy own preferences prioritised. What are your goals, I'm thinking maybe hobby breeding and you hope to sell surplus?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing much difficult about breeding, put them together and they will do the rest. It's all about your goals. I come from an exhibition background so breeding is quite disciplined. I'm now breeding for hobby purposes and it's much more relaxed withy own preferences prioritised. What are your goals, I'm thinking maybe hobby breeding and you hope to sell surplus?
Definitely yes on just hobby breeding. I was thinking maybe only one or two litters a year and selling surplus as you said.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts