Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lost on what color this mouse it.
Her parents were one of 2 does that were in with 2 bucks, not intentionally, the does look very much like bucks when they were put together.
Does: Agouti Fuzzy or Agouti Fuzzy Longhair (littermates)
(does parents were agouti fuzzy x agouti broken standard)

Bucks: Chocolate Tan Satin (sire: Cholate Tan x Chcolate) or
Chcolate Standard (i cant remember what the parents were at the moment)

Both does were pregant, over 28 babies, culled down to this one and a sister exact same color, a agouti satin, and 2 agouti fuzzies that died.

I know the picture is not great. She is definately pointed, nose, ears, feet, and tail I beleive, but her coat (standard) seems to be ticked. My first thought was maybe lynx. But now I dont know.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Can she have the chinchilla allele?

Chinchilla is acromelanistic like himalayan, only less so. What this translates to is that a lot of poorly-bred chinchilla mice do have slight points without himalayan ever being present, although of course since you don't fully know her background anything is possible. I have noticed that, for whatever reason, these mice seemed to have darker noses and ears than tails, as yours does. This would make sense with her having a poor tail set--if the tail doesn't stick out properly, it can't be cool enough to develop a nice, dark point. :p

She also carries chocolate. Chocolate is one of those things that, depending on what else is there, can lighten the color of the whole mouse when it is carried. Since there is so much unknown about her, plus the fact that ticked varieties don't make the best examples of fuzzy, I personally wouldn't breed from her.

P.S. It's good to see you posting over here! :)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Not if she's ticked. Colourpoint smoke as Finnmouse styles it is a/a B/* c^e/c^h d/d P/* and this mouse is probably A/a B/b C/* P/*. You also must consider that the blue dilution (in colourpoint smoke) can cause clumping of pigment that resembles ticking (when it's a very poor blue). That's the problem with mongrels in general--they can have so many non-standard, intermediate appearances that you never really know what you're dealing with.

They're very cute, to be sure, but a pain-in-the-you-know-what when you're trying to breed to standard! :p

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Looks like a blue point Siam to me! LOL

Different peoples screens do not help when trying to judge colour! lol

Willow xx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
That is a very good point.

This is another reason why, when asking for variety identification help on a public forum, it is important to disclose the parents and grandparents if at all possible.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love the smoke color point. Stunning! But Im afraid thats not quite what she looks like. I wish it were warm enough here to take a few snaps of her outside. My camera is terrible indoors.
She is definately not blue. After looking at some pix I think her color may be closer to a CPB, but she is darker kinda like a seal point and she has the ticking.

I think I will just experiement with her and see what pops out. I LOVE ticked fuzzies and I have a fuzzy buck with an aweseom tail set and tail lengeth that I am planning to breed her to, hes almost 10 inches long nose to tail tip. I probably wont be breeding them till late March or early April. If I get anything interesting Ill show them off.

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I have a few more mice I cant figure out the color on, soon as I can catch my breath with all thats going on for my club I will finish editing the pictures. Unfortunately they are not too much better quality than these.

Gia send us some green soon!

*edited cause I cant speel*

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Yeah, she's definitely not a colorpoint smoke she has to have either agouti or chinchilla in her background. Maybe aa c^ch c^h?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a few bucks that will help improve her faults. My sister is looking for chin, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to chins (not a color I am intersted in with right now) Is there something I could cross her with that, if she is chin, will give us chins?

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
It partially depends on the kind of chinchilla. In America the more common kind is heterozygous tan-based (A/at cch/cch), but there are also some homozygous white-bellied chinchillas (Aw/Aw cch/cch). Intermediate forms (Aw/at, A/at, Aw/a, Aw/A, cch/ch, cch/ce, cch/c, etc.) are much more common but can't be standardized because they don't have a distinct enough appearance. Your mousie is almost certainly a variation on one of these intermediate forms which is why it's hard to say for sure what she is. lol

If you want more chinchillas from her you really need a chinchilla to breed her to, and you'll want to stay away from all other c-locus recessives (himalayan/siamese, beige, PEW) in the background because due to the nature of the C-locus they will give you "intermediate" forms like you see here and simply cause more confusion in the long-run.

However, because she possibly carries chocolate and fuzzy and longhair and spots (plus whatever else is in her background), and because she has many type-related faults, it's best not to breed from her at all. If you're going to be involved with showing, it's best to stick to two or three varieties at the very most, or else you'll end up not doing any of them particularly well. The world is populated with well-meaning mouse breeders who thought "Well *I* can breed four/six/eight varieties and do all of them well," but the quality of their mice bears witness to that approach.

(To be fair, breeding many varieties at once and doing all of them well can happen, but almost never does. Out of the hundreds of people who have tried this approach, I know exactly one for whom it has consistently worked down through the years. There's a reason all the top breeders stick to two or three varieties. :p)

I wish it were warm enough here to take a few snaps of her outside. My camera is terrible indoors.
A couple minutes outside just to take pictures won't harm a mouse. Just take the whole cage outside and take one mouse out at a time. That's what I do. As long as it's not very long, they'll be fine. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts