Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I "make" marked abys ?

I´ve got one aby male, he´s chocolate fox satin longhair.

I´ve got two marked adult females at home now but they don´t carry the aby gene...
Which marked varieties are dominant?

· Registered
1,063 Posts
rumpwhite is dominant, as is hereford and dutch I believe.

You could produce brokens by pairing the aby buck to the broken does, then pairing the offspring together or a resulting buck back to the broken does.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok cuz I have a litter from the aby male and the agouti even female. None of the kids is even or broken. But if I mate two of the siblings from this litter i would get some marked abys? or if I mate one of the males back to the mother? * this is hard :p *

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Yep, each baby takes one gene from each parent. Because broken/even is 'recessive' it means that the even doe has got two copies of the broken gene, the aby buck doesnt have any broken genes. It means that all of the babies you have produced from the even and the aby, have only one copy of the broken gene. So its not enough for them to be broken but if you pair them together (or to the mother) there will be brokens in the litters because some of the babies will take a one broken gene from each of its parents.

Hope that makes sense.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow,THANK YOU! Yes it makes so much sense :) I should have known it though since I managed to figure out how to make aby´s :p stupid me *doh* Its the same thing except instead of pairing a kid back to the father i pair it back to the mother :D

But if I pair one of the kids to the even doe their litter won´t be aby´s right?
So I guess the fastest way to get broken aby´s is by pairing two of the kids from the litter?

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Abys are difficult to predict because within a litter of abys you can have good swirls and bad swirls. I would probably try putitng the babies to each other inorder to try to keep the aby gene there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.