Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My light champagne doe littered in the early hours, I caught her cleaning up at about half 6 this morning, I counted about 11 but there could be more, why are my does having such big litters when they're supposed to be their first litters? :?

Anyway the Dad is my awesome Chunky and he's a fabulous colour so I really can't wait for them to be furry :D

·
Registered
177 Posts
hm my biggest litter was 18, but it was her first litter and i take 8 boys 3 days after the birth and the athers are oll girls...

but 11 ist verrry difficult ... but if she is a good mami, it will be all good ;-)

lg viv

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Rump whites are great because the rumpwhite gene is dominant so you can cross in selfs of any colour and eventually make rumpwhites of any colour. Obviously the paler colours dont work as you have to be able to clearly see the line of demarcation.

I've got two champagne rumpwhites already, both does. Both of them have a good amount of white but not good markings. They were a bit of a surprise and I got really lucky. One of them is definately pregnant I reckon she has about a week to go the other one doesnt have any signs of pregnancy yet.
Here they are as babies.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Ian I have just mated my 2 cham rw does to a cham rw buck as well, the place will be coming down with them as my granny would have said ;) I've also had a dove/silver doe and buck pop out of a litter as well, they are very attractive mice.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I'm currious how a silver rumpwhite would look, is there much distinction? Obviously the skin will show the markings but when the fur comes in will it show?
I'm really excited about it I've got a good group of pink eyed does now but no pink eyed bucks so I'm going to have to wait one more generation before I start producing them properly. I'm really close however to having blue and blue tan rumpwhites (not keen on the tans!).

I've never liked red eyed animals at all but since these accidental champagnes popped out I'm really liking them, the colour is so soft and I no longer find the eyes menacing.

Vivian-there is a fatal factor but it causes death only in foetus (I think its 9 days into pregnancy?) so r/w x r/w litters are generally smaller but all the babies produced are genetically healthy.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I think they are genetically dove to be honest but when they were very young they looked almost white, which is why I mentioned silver. Now they have got their fur (but eyes still closed) they look more dove. The demarcation line is clearer than on the chams I think, perhaps this is why they look nice. I'll be breeding these two when they are old enough barring any problems between now and then. The buck is well marked but the doe is not.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
You produce much better rumpwhites by mating rw to rw than rw to anything else, yes. If you mate them to something else you'll still get some that are genetically rw but this may only be shown by a piebald tail or a tiny spot of white underneath or at the tail root.

·
Registered
177 Posts
here in germany, there aren't so many rw mice at time, so i never get one i think... but i would like to cross them with an normal mice.

ok the marked won't be so good, but it doesn't matter for me.

but i can understand why you breed them in your form.... here in germany, Ay, Fizzy, naked and all mice how aren't shorthair are cald "Qwalzuchten" (torture breedings) so all peaple how breed them, shall be deemed to be a irresponsible person.

we don't want mice how get's problems in the age becase of there genetics.

the rw is a medium (like all lethal factor mices) because the breeder have assume a big responsibility.
and mice how died (and if that only in mothers bady a fetus) don't liked in germany.

i think we are much softer to feel with pet's ;-)

hm it will be difficult and the breeder must decide.

lg vivian

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Vivian said:
i think we are much softer to feel with pet's ;-)
.......only with mice I think because all the cavy breeders I have met still cull their litters but NO ONE in the UK culls cavies any more and if they do, they do well to keep jolly quiet about it ;)

But it is (as you say) a matter for each person / breeder to decide for themselves, I don't agree with a lot of things lots of breeders do and they possibly don't agree with some of my methods or husbandry traits but that's okay, I sleep well at night knowing I do put my animals first :D

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
My mice aren't pets they are exhibition animals and as such I have no problem culling surplus or sick mice so having a variety which has a linked genetic fatality in foetus certainly isn't an issue. I personally wouldn't want to breed from an animal which had a genetic defect or was in anyway likely to pass on a hereditary disease as I don't like to see animals suffering but also it wouldn't be a successful exhibition mouse which is my whole aim of breeding. To be honest I think the fact that rumpwhites produce smaller litters causes less of a toll on the mother in carrying, birthing and rearing the litter which is a beneficial biproduct of the r/w gene.

Do German exhibition breeders not reduce their litters through selection?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts