Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this little doe is a champagne but wanted a few more opinions. Also how would you tell if a mouse is a banded or a dutch? My other doe has a nice wide band and this doe has a very small band compared to her so just wondered if you can tell if she is banded or dutch.

this is my chocolate doe that I believe is a dutch for band comparison I guess

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hi,

It could be a champagne, the pictures arent too clear, it could also be a dove although my guess form the pics would be champagne. Just seen the new pic you put up and the colour still isnt 100% clear to me, doves normally have a pale grey tint and champagnes normally have a pinky/yellow tint. The problem may be that as a pet shop mouse the colour wont have been bred for specifically so the colour sint always very distinct.

I dont know much about dutch but I imagine what you have is either a poorly marked banded or something I've vaguely heard of called a belted. Being pet shop mice they could have any number of recognised variety genes at work.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
I'd guess that she's a very deep champagne. A little darker than the standard you guys have over there, but I prefer the color like this, but no darker; then I'd call it dove (lilac). Hard to pin down unless you know how it was bred.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
In some parts of the US, "dove" means pink-eyed black (a/a p/p), just like in the UK. Just to confuse matters. :p

The chocolate with white spots could turn out to be a case of regular recessive white spotting (s/s) that just happened to fall that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts