Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I counted my mice today when I was separating males from mum and females, and I am a mouse down. Separating them out, I'm missing one of the males (it had to be a boy!)

How does one recapture an escapee? Bearing in mine the mice are kept in my living room and the only doors in the whole flat separate my bedroom and bathroom from the rest of the place!

I also have a cat, which may have already gotten to said escapee.... :roll:

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Cats have an uncanny way of getting the mouse and eating it without shedding a single drop of blood. Don't mean to scare you (really, lol) but it happens.

The best kind of live trap is the wire kind, like this: http://images.google.com/images?q=havah ... =en&tab=wi

...because they allow airflow better than closed-system traps but I'd definitely have a live trap of some sort to keep around. A good bait is peanut butter on a cracker/saltine.

Good luck and keep us updated!

P.S. Be sure to keep an eye on all the females' cages! :p

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I imagine the cat will have been more adept at catching the rogue mouse than you.

When this has happened to me I have put food down in the same area for a few days and watched the mouse come out of its hiding place. It gives the mouse a false sense of security! You can then gently go in a just pick it up. Not always 100% effective I have to admit. You could do the less subtle technique of catching it under a bowl, which has also proven useful for me in the past.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jack Garcia said:
Cats have an uncanny way of getting the mouse and eating it without shedding a single drop of blood. Don't mean to scare you (really, lol) but it happens.
I can vouch for that, I sat on a mouse stomach the other day as I was putting on my shoe, and it squelched everywhere. Nothing else, just the stomach. (not one of mine though as none were missing at that point!

Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
584 Posts
I had 2 escapee gerbils that had 3 days of freedom in the house, coming out in the evening to run around the lounge, completely fearless, the little gits. A live trap caught one, the other was cornered and grabbed in the end.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the little blighter back!

Spotted the cat taking an unusual level of interest in the seagrass box that the mouse food is kept in, and upon emptying said box, found the escapee huddled over the sunflower seeds. He is now safely back in with the others!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Before i had a male and female escape so you can imagine what happened but i used a humane mouse trap and placed it near where they were hiding and put some nice food in the trap and i managed to catch them female 1st then a few days later the male cam out to me and i cornered him and picked him up then a few week later she gave birth lol . Just make sure you put some food and water out for it otherwise the mouse wont live very long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts