Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently got a male mouse from a small pet shop in my area. He is a year old, and the pet shop had to get rid of him after he found his way into the female cage and impregnated 8 females. After hearing this story my girlfriend just had to have him haha. This is all i really know about him. I will attach pictures and if anyone can tell me anything about him i would be thrilled. Thanks

Boymouse2.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still new to all of this. I noticed that Angelmouse referred to the color of boy mouse as a black broken marked, and Miss-Freak-Of-Nature referred to it as banded black. While doing research on genetics i noticed that broken is a recessive trait, while banded is a dominant trait. None of boy mouses offspring came out banded or marked. Would this indicate that he is a broken marked? If he was a banded it seems as though some of the babies would of been banded? Being new to this, I could be completely wrong in my logic.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Some one like Mousebreeder should be able to help you with this one.
I called him a Black broken marked as he is black with broken patches of white, although he does have a band he also has the broken coat which in my personal view out ways the band. You can get alot of mice who have a band but also have a broken coat at the same time. I think that if the band goes all the way round the body and has no other white or just a tiny amount like a dash on its head then thats a banded, if you have a band that only goes part way round and has patches of white over the rest of the body then that is a Broken.
But again wait to see what Mousebreeder has to say about it or someone else who knows their stuff on Genetics :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
You are absolutly right. If your boy was banded, you should have had 50% banded in the litter (in theory).
If he is broken, you can only get broken kids, when mum is broken (kids will all be broken) or a broken carrier (50% of the kids will be broken). No broken kids, means mum is not a carrier. All the kids will be, so you can get broken if you breed with them.

Just to warn you, just theory, in real life the odds can be different. Banded, broken and all other markings can be tricky. I've got two girls. If you see them, you would be certain they're banded (bad), but they're actually broken. The blue one comes out black tan x blue tan. The dove comes out dove frizzie longhair x dove tan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts