Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have someone interested in getting some mice from me. She says she has done a lot of research on caring for mice. She said that one site told her she could not own mice without training them! Whats that all about? I dont train my mice as I told her and mine are friendly enough..... also she said a site told her it is good for a mouse to be able to swim in a shallow bath of water !!!??? again whats all that about? I have never heard of these things, I have however heard of people training mice but not that you cannot own mice without training them.
What do you think?

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Honestly? I think it's a load of rubbish :lol:

All you need to do is make sure a mouse is tame, either she's misunderstood some information or that site is advising things that are dangerous.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
God yeah I would avoid water at all costs, poor things.

My first two does which I had years ago were born in the animal unit of my college and were destined as snake food so I nipped them in my pocket one day. They were really very young to be away from the mum but I thought it was worth having a go at raising them etc Anyway miraculously they survived and I spent loads of time training them and making obsticle courses. They were amazing and if I only had one group of mice I would train them again, it was very rewarding and they were capable of quite advanced learning (for a mouse). One of them would walk along a highwire (bit of string) holding a pencil aloft in her tail, the other one couldnt hold the pencil but she would stand on her hind legs to beg on command.
I miss them :cry: :lol:

·
Registered
982 Posts
I would really like to know where this lady got her information from??? Wot a load of old rubbish they are not circus animals they're pets for goodness sakes.

The most a prospective owner could ask is if they've been handled at all but my 3 weren't handled at all before they came to me (2 of them as adults) and they're "hand tame" already.

I will teach them to swim next week lol I DON'T THINK :lol: perhaps they could do legnths of the bath for Comic Relief?? :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts