Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is the wrong section, couldnt see another place for it to go!

I got my first trio of mice Sunday night to attempt to breed for food.

Id like to be able to handle them and them take treats and things from me but they run as soon as they hear me opening the lid!

Is it OK to interact with them and lift them out if pregnant or will it stress them too much?

Also when they give birth, what shall I do about handling the babies if the females arent that tame? I dont want to stress them obviously but wanted to handle the babies :(

If its going to stress them too much Ill have to get some 'pet' mice not breeder mice. Ha that will please my partner :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
If the does aren't hugely pregnant which will be obvious it would be a good idea to get them used to you.They will be less likely to eat their babies if they are relaxed around you.I have already rowed on rfuk about the handling of pinkies.This is my opinion but I am in no way a hard liner on my views.I think its not in the interests of the mice to handle newborn pinkies.Stressful to the mother and of no benifit to the babies and I just don't see the point.Carefully part the bedding while the mother is out of the nest for a peek and then close it back up.3 or 4 days later when the mother is less likely to eat them remove her and then you can have a touch.Cover them back up and replace the bedding,then the mother.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wait to they are about a week old to handling them, but I will look at them every day to see that everything is okay. :)

it also depends how well i know the female. ;)

God luck with the babies and mom.. ;) :D

i loooove babies.. :oops:

i have 2 of my own at the moment.. :oops:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I saw the thread about handling pinkies on RFUK, I wouldnt risk that myself! I cant understand the benefits to Mum or babies either so Ill leave 'til around a week old.

Ill go have a read through the diet section for some treats they wont be able to resist then! The male took a tiny bit of bread off me earlier and although its hardly anything it pleased me lol.

Ive got a wanted ad for some 'pet' mice now too so hopefully Ill have some friendlier ones soon!

Thanks for the advice :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts