Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

from left to right
mouse 1 buck - silvery shade with black eyes, i was calling it silver

mouse 2 buck - i was calling choc dilute, but is it stone? this makes sense, it looked like finnmouse 'beige' but is our beige, stone?

mouse 3 doe - champagne?

mouse 4 doe - PEW/ cream?

phew, get me back to black tans and baldies!!!

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Hard to see the far left due to the DOF but if they're all from the same litter it could well be a very pale stone. Sometimes these look almost like a dirty cream, I imagine it could also be mistaken for silver as you say. If you have some different photos of that one and know what the parents carry that would be great.

The second is a stone, I think you're right that European 'beige' is our stone (a c-dilute the same as cream and PEW).

Number three looks like a champagne to me (PE chocolate). I'm guessing one parent was cream and the other, well, wasn't? :lol: I say that because the cham must not have 2 c-dilute genes.

The last one whose bum is so lovingly pointed toward the camera could be PEW or PE cream, you've no way to tell genetically without test breeding since they look very similar, if not identical. It all depends on whether it got c or ce from its parents.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
righto, that all makes sense to me!

yeah i remember reading somewhere or being told (perhaps by yourself) about not being able to tell between PEW and cream on satin...

here are some clearer pics... weird tho as looking at these satins with the naked eye their colours differ slightly day by day and in different lights!!

parents were:
siamese buck (carrying satin)
to this gal, that i've been calling silver tan - her parents were siamese buck and PEW satin hairless doe

and here are the babies:
here are the 2 does with their pink eyes both

and the black eyed boys:

thinking about it now, he cant be silver as he has black eyes... i would agree he's a really murky dirty cream colour...?

and whilst we're here, what about the brother and sister without satin from this litter, i'm guesing at champagne

girl (with soft tan belly)

and boy, either self, or very poor tan there somewhere :roll:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Can you not eliminate silver by seeing if there is a blue undercoat - or do you not get that with satins?

P

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
You don't get a blue undercolour with silver, it's a self...

Daisy, you can't tell PEW and PE cream apart whether they're satin or normal. IMO at least half of the mice shown as PEWs are genetically PE cream anyway.

I assume the siamese was black eyed? That would explain the ce gene and the chocolate gene. That tan does look either silver or dove (hard to tell without seeing it in real life). The buck that you originally called silver looks much more cream in that photo on my monitor! It's so hard to capture the pale colours accurately on camera :roll:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes black eyed siamese, that makes sense... its all slowly coming together!

yeah the 'silver' guy who cant be silver with his black eyes, could be a dodgy cream i guess. its a funny old guessing game, to describe his actualy colour, you would say silver, metalic pale grey, but that doesnt help with the 'actual' colour i guess, lol! like how you call a white horse a grey... silly colours! :lol:

thanks for your help

·
Registered
128 Posts
MouseBreeder said:
Really? My silver have a blue undercolour and according to finnmouse "should always have blue undercolour, giving depth to the colour but not showing through"?

If they aren't silver, what do I have?

P

·
Registered
304 Posts
Oh wow they look beautiful in that pic! (not that they didnt in the other one)
But the one you called silver deffinatly looks more whitish then silver in that pic.
Such lovely coats! Im so excited!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (they dont have big enough
smileys!) lol

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Paul said:
MouseBreeder said:
Really? My silver have a blue undercolour and according to finnmouse "should always have blue undercolour, giving depth to the colour but not showing through"?

If they aren't silver, what do I have?

P
It's a big debate in showing circles about undercolour on silvers. The whole point of a self is that they can't have anything but one colour - it should be icy silver all the way down to the root. I suppose it could be that their skin is not actually as pink as normal skin? You can see it when they're pinkies before they get proper fur so I guess this is true.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts