Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone explain what a 'Burmese' is please?

How can I distinguish between a Burmese and an unselected Chocolate? I have acquired two does that I believe to be Choc foxes but they are pale coloured. The colour is solid with no sort of shading.

I am guessing that Burmese is something to do with the Siamese gene (?) If these are 'Burmese' rather than chocolate I then assume that the white belly is due to ch and not cch
.....which makes them completely useless for a project I am working on :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sarah. At least that is reassuring that I actually have cch in my shed even if the mice are at worst case scenario only heterozygous. Of course they could still be cchcch.
There don't seem to be many foxes around, I had bit of a false start when I acquired a nice baby fox buck for my programme but he turned out to be a sniffler and a non-breeder which is why I grabbed these two robust looking pet bred does when I saw them.
I then had second thoughts about what may be giving the slightly diluted colour - may just be lack of selection for decent colour but I can now bear it in mind that they may be heterozygous for ch as well.

I am off to clean out mice now and so I am going to have a close inspection in good daylight. I am thinking that if the choc colour is 'pet shade' these are just the sort of 'foxes' that would have the creamy tide mark. If they are suspiciously white that may also point to the genotype that you suggest.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts