Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously getting into breeding mice, and am planning to expand my stock once i can track down the varieties i'm after ;)

In the mean time, I found myself bored and created this site which I hope to use in the future. (i hope it's ok to post a link?)

but here it is. feedback welcome and anything you feel could be added etc please tell me.

*thanks in advance*
http://velveteens-mousery.moonfruit.com/

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I've had a quick look and a couple of things struck me...

You can't carry banded, it's a dominant gene
You mention you're looking for tricolours, but we don't have them in the UK
It would probably be better to state that you're looking for the brindles etc rather than you will have them, or you might get requests you can't honour, as brindles are rare

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told from a few people that lily carried the banded gene...grrr i'll change that. so she'll be classed as a broken is that right?

we really should have tricolours in the uk, they're so pretty
i'd love to know where i could find brindles, i know they're hard to find...makes me want one even more :D

Thanks for the advice,much appreciated.
You wouldn't happen to know of other breeders in my area would you? xx

*goes to revise site!*

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
The only photo I can find of Lily's face, she looks like a broken. She is called a broken on some pages and banded on others. Has she ever produced banded babies and if so with what buck? She could also be a badly mismarked banded if she has produced clearly banded babies. She is also being called silver but could be a dove (pink eyed black) depending on parentage etc.

Also, by S/W are you trying to say white satin? The abbreviation won't be recognised as it's not a standard one. If you're saying that you have a mouse who is white all over with pink eyes, that's called an ivory. A 'white' mouse with black eyes could be either a cream satin or a BEW satin depending on the genes involved.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lily has produced 3 babies, and was bred with my buck which i gather is a broken black tan (if thats right) i'll put pics of him, and lily and her litter here now for you. apologies if the quality is bad...the babies are rather lively!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the buck i bred Lily with
Broken black tan (so i'm told)

This is Lily (her eyes are black if that helps :) )

Her 3 babies (there were 6, but she ate one and the two runts sadly died)

The all have quite a prominant white band over the hips.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
She is a mismarked banded, that photo is much better for showing her entire markings. What colour are the babies as I can't make it out from the photo? If she has black eyes she's neither dove nor silver.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol this mouse is giving me a mild headache! good job i love her lol

two of her babies are a light tan and white, the other is slightly darker. these pics might help show their colour. any idea what colour Lily is? her colour is a silvery grey?

This is the darker baby

and the two lighter ones:

heres a pic of the babies before sprouting hair!
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

Thanks xx

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Seems to me like she must be a silver agouti since she has produced ticked babies (the dad is black so this can't have come from him). It also looks like both mum and dad carry chocolate as the babies look cinnamon from what I can see (sorry but the pics are a bit blurry).

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol yeah the babies are really active and a nightmare to get them to sit still. So would you say Lily is a silver agouti (but carries the banded gene?) all my other mice there's no problem establishing what they are lol but Lily, i guess she's special.

Yes the babies now you've said cinnamon i would agree they're a cinnamon colour. they're very pretty. xx

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
at last! now we know what Lily is. The little madam can quit causing me and my fiance a headache now and continue to mother her babies and look pretty ! :lol:

Thanks for all your help...lord knows how i'll fit all that in the little box on the website on her pics! :?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.