Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a buck a few months ago, from a local pet store, I was told he was a doe. When I got them home (i bought 8 that night, they were too cute to resist!) I looked them all over, and found he was a buck, judging by distance as they were all small. I put him with a doe after a couple weeks, allowing him time to mature a little before doing "the deed". The doe never conceived. All of my other does have had their babies, and within the next few weeks will be weaning. I picked the buck up tonight to really check him over, and it seems that he has no testicles. My husband went as far as to feel that area, to find a lot of nothing! He is a beautiful buck, and I was hoping to get some babies from him, but I guess that is out of the question now. Has anyone else ever had this happen? He isn't a doe, as the space is too big and there is no (visible) vagina. In the meantime, I put the doe with a different buck, in hopes of getting a few more mostly black, or solid black babies.

·
Registered
84 Posts
dumb question but is there a chance they where erm...inside?

When I pick my boy up his bits disappear for a bit and I think some dogs do it too.

A picture will help those who are more experienced that me help you out.

Sounds very odd though

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a pic of him right now, but I can one, unfortunately, it will have to be a "tail-up" picture, as he isn't the friendliest, and I don't trust him not to take a chunk of skin with him. :lol: maybe I can convince my husband to hold him. I will try for pics when my husband wakes up, and the sun is shining a little brighter.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Sounds like you might have yourself a hermaphrodite or at least a tweener. If there are testicles, however, and they have not descended all the way, the buck may not produced enough viable sperm, as the testicles will be a bit too warm.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Personally I don't understand why anyone would want to breed from a nasty bitey mouse??? Anyway, back to the issue at hand...

My boys pretty much all the time when i first pick them up have thier testes inside thier bodies, they come back down pretty quickly though when they relax (and usually pee on me =o/ lol)
get your husband to pick him up, and gently feel the tummy just above the penis, if they are inside they will be there.

W xx

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Wouldn't that be behind the penis? Or are you are speaking of a tails up view?

And yeah, that's what I meant, Erica. Sexually in between physically. I've seen more of that than some mousekeepers., what with the weirdo tris.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have viewed him from all angles... In his cage (after I took the bedding out), upside down, tail up, any direction, even being relaxed in his cage, there is nothing there. Just a big emptiness, completely flat.

And its not that he is mean, he just hasn't been worked with a lot, other than to pick him up to clean out his cage. Most of my attention, goes to the babies that i plan to keep, and eventually, all the rest are going to be feeders. I start holding my babies at around 3 days old, and I have had great luck with them being friendly... I don't see much of a point in stressing the older ones, that have never been touched because they came from a pet store. It's sad, the amount of people that buy from pet stores and get nippy mice because they havent been touched or held at all. sorry, guess thats a different topic altogether.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Erica said:
I have viewed him from all angles... In his cage (after I took the bedding out), upside down, tail up, any direction, even being relaxed in his cage, there is nothing there. Just a big emptiness, completely flat.
You can't generally see it, you can just feel the lumps. The first time it happened years ago i completely paniced and thought it was cancer =o/

W xx

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh... hmm... well, I think in that case he/she is probably a tweener. My husband did feel that area last night, and felt nothing. Oh well, I might still keep him around, as he is very pretty. A very pale Orange and white, with a half and half face. :cool: I have his brother, who is the same color, and they produce some gorgeous babies, which was why i wanted to use him for breeding, but at least i have his brothers babies to use.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.