Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These arent the best marked brindles, but Im working on that.

Buck 1:

Buck 2:

Doe 1:

Doe 2:

Doe 3:

Litter:

I have a few more brindles, but dont have current pictures of.
Im also working on broken brindles.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I love brindles!! They are beautiful. I have one brindle doe, and a buck that I *think* carries brindle. (is that possible? I know NOTHING about genetics in mice.) I think I'm going to concentrate on tri's and brindle though. There go my feeders if I do that, I wouldn't be able to feed something so beautiful. :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm not sure what they look like... my buck is bright orange and white. Is there any way to know if they are unmarked brindles?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With unmarked brindles, you cant tell by looking at them,but you can tell by breeding them.
If you breed them to a non-brindle, then you should still get some brindles.

I believe this boy is an unmarked brindle, but I wont know for sure until I breed him:

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I bred a black broken buck to a grey doe with a white belly, and got 8 black, 4 PEW, and 4 brindles. Does that mean either parent had to have the brindle? Which one? The grey sort of has these darker grey splotches on her back, like round spots sort of, big ones the size of your thumb nail. Is that a sign of brindling?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like the doe is a poorly/sotty marled brindle, but without a picture it can be hard to tell.
In order to get brindles, 1 parent has to be brindle(includes showing & unmarked)
My best guess is on the doe

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I thought brindles were that reddish tan color with black markings. They come in grey too? I only have one picture of the doe, and it's not a very good one.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I don't know what judges look for in a show brindle, but here is a pic of my brindle boy, he's got very striking markings!

Also I was wondering: Can you breed tri-colours from Brindles? My brindle girls have produces several broken brindles, that I think look a lot like tri-colours. Not sure if there's anyway to breed them into tris, or just breed them into weird looking brindles? lol.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brindles can be bred into several colors(blue,beige,chinchilla,etc) but the most common is Fawn(RY) Brindle.
Brindles are dominant to every gene except Lethal Yellow (Ay) and
not fully dominant over Tan (at).

Broken brindles and tri colors arent the same. Broken brindles cant be bred into tris.
Tri colors are made up of 3 parts: Splashed, spots & c-dilutes.

That brindle buck has pretty good markings, which is what a judge is looking for.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Judges look for good, clean & clear markings, not thin, smudge markings.
The markings have to the clearly visable and spaced apart, not all smushed together.
Judges look for brindle markings on the bellies.

·
Registered
310 Posts
broken brindles sound interesting. i have 2 brindles right now (male and female) that both have white head spots. i think im going to breed them together and hopefully they will have broken babies with more white than just head spots. and btw your brindles are beautiful :)

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I never knew brindles could have so many colors! So basically a good brindle would have tiger stripes? can there be a white brindle, like a white tiger?

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I have two broken brindle babies right now, that will probably be up for sale soon...
Both are white, with tan spots, and gray/black/brown markings on the tan spots. :)
I just took pictures of them last night. So hopefully I can get them uploaded today, and I'll share.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks
Yep a good brindle will have tiger stripes.
Judges usually look for stripes on the bellies, but theres some breeders who breed for clean bellies.

I like the look of broken brindles, but theres some people that dont.
Theres a white brindle, but its from breeding a brindle to a beige. The gene that causes beige, bleaches out the orange, making it a a BEW with pastel stripes

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Do brindles have any special health problems? I kept one of the brindles from that grey doe, and she was fine, had a healthy litter of 7, and then a couple months later she started getting real thin, and lethargic, and a month later she died in my hand (it was very traumatic!). But she was in with two other does, and to this day those does, both older than her, are absolutely fine and healthy. Was it some genetic condition she was predisposed to? Why did it affect her and not the other mice?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Brindles are prone to being overweight, it can range from being chubby to being HUGE.
The overweight problem can also cause some issues with breeding, so alot of breeders breed right at the 3 month mark just to make sure they can breed them before they have breeding problems(due to the weight issue)
They are also more prone to getting tumors.

I have no idea what could of happened to your doe, sorry for your loss though

1 - 20 of 30 Posts