Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im new here. i just got five young golden (i dont know the exact term for that color) satins. four females and a male. is it alright to breed from siblings? also i'd like to know if the satin gene is dominant and if i use the male with other non satin females, would i still get satins from that pairing? thanks. :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hello,
First of all, would you mind visiting the introduction forum and posting a little about yourself? :) thanks!

I'll try my best to answer your question, The mice sound like they are either fawn or red (depending on eye colour, fawns have pink eyes, reds have black), my guess is probably fawn, as i'm sure they are more common.

1. it's not really okay to breed from siblings, i.e brother and sister. However it is okay, for a limited number of generations line breeding can be done, which is mother to son, daughter to father ect. This is to lock in traits. But an outcross should be introduced every now and then to avoid any horrible deformaties/mutations.

2. Satin is recessive. So by crossing the satin male to a non satin (non satin carrying) female, you will get satin carrying offspring. However if you found a satin carrying female to put him to, there would be a chance of satin offspring.

Vi x

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Brother x sister matings can be absolutely fine. Some lab strains have been bred brother to sister for decades with no outcross of any kind, and the mice are 99% clones now with no deformities or extra heads, just normal healthy mice. I've bred a few brother x sister rat and mouse litters and the litters are all fine, although I prefer to breed mum to son or daughter to dad. I do this for a long time and only outcross if I see a fault in physical form, fertility or temperament that needs correcting. No faults, no outcross.

However, I know the backgrounds of my breeding rodents, and I trust the breeders I obtained them from so I can be fairly sure that a inbreeding will not be harmful. If you don't know the background of your selected parents, then you could be fixing a hidden undesirable trait without knowing it as inbreeding can only work with the genes that are already there - if the genes are bad than bad offspring will result, if the genes are good, the babies will be good.

Sarah xxx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.