Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so Ive been thinking about what I should do for my first litters- heres what Ive come up with

Breed Mocha (chocolate standard haired buck) with a broken doe. Most likely broken chocolate or broken black.

And then I think for Kurtis (blue fox angora buck) I should pair him with maybe a black standard haired doe? Im looking for some black fox offspring from them. Would this work out? Im no good at this yet :3

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
The broken gene is recessive, so when you breed Mocha to a broken, you'll get solid babies that carry broken. If you breed a baby back to the broken, you'll get half brokens, and if you breed the siblings together, you'll get about a quarter of them broken.

I'm not sure if angora is dominant or recessive, so I'll leave that one alone. However, just to let you know, I think sometimes the blue dilution also dilutes the tan to look like fox, even though it's genetically tan. So I'm not sure if your Kurtis (great name!) is a fox or a tan incognito. Breeding a tan to a self will get tans or tans and selfs, depending if the tan is homozygous or not. Breeding a fox to a self will produce tans, unless the self carries the ch gene. However, the tans will carry the ch gene, and breeding them together or back to the fox parent will produce more foxes.

Blues have the d/d gene, and blacks are D/* so the offspring will be all black or roughly half black half blue, depending on what the /* is.

I know it's confusing, but hopefully it helps!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No no, that helps a lot! Thank you so much :) So If I breed Mocha to a broken female- theres no chance at all that even one will be broken?

and yea, that would be awesome :) did you wanna wait till rodentfest then? :3

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
If Mocha is carrying spotting, it might happen. Is he all solid, or does he have white markings on his tail, and white spots on his belly? If so, he might be a carrier. If it's only a very little bit of white, he might come from spotted stock, but he probably doesn't carry it. If you breed a son back to the doe, about half of them should be spotted. Of course, it depends on what what of spotting she carries. My kind of spotting is recessive, but some, like varigated, are dominant. I think she's a broken marked, which is usually recessive, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He does have a light underbelly. not like a fox, but its pretty noticeable. he also has white tuffs of fur behind his ears.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
White tuffs behind the ears is pretty common. The light underbelly would just be a sign of his coat color, though. The white would be very noticeable, if it were there. Still, good luck!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wootness! :D! Im excited now ^_^ If hes gotten Stella or Candy in the last few days, then the pups should come around june 8-11th :3 For now thought Ive moved him back out into his own cage because I needed to put my new female back in there. Shes for Kurtis, and not Mocha. So I didnt want Mocha getting her preggo- but she was rly scared in Kurtis's cage and I felt bad :( She needed to be back with her gfs :p

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Where in 'Northern Virginia' do you live? Cause maybe we can just meet up, I'll borrow Kurtis for a bit, and we can meet up again to return him, and let you pick out which of the babies you want. :)

In fact, we could meet up in a few months, for me to borrow Kurtis, and if you're going to rodent fest, I can meet you there, and get him back to you, and let you pick the babies you'd like. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts