Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Merle is a version of color-on-color (like splashed) and (also like splashed) exists in Europe (recently imported by a friend of mine). If it makes its way to the UK in the next few years I wouldn't be surprised.

Merle is one of those varieties that people disagree with. Some say it's dominant and some say it's recessive. And both groups will swear with their lives that they're right because they've bred it and have test litters to prove it, which makes me think there may actually be 2 different (or similar) genes which create merle mice depending on location (like there are 2 genes which can create red/yellow mice depending on location).

I've never bred merle. It has too many problems with breeding to standard. You might try asking on an American forum. I know a few people who have bred merle but who don't belong over here to the best of my knowledge.

That said, if your mouse isn't merle, you can't "create" it from roan. You have to start with a merle mouse.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I am a friend of his, and I have discussed it with him in the past... I am dying for some of his splashed/tri colour and merles... though he is a bit resistant to letting merles go because they are not good enough in his opinion lol

It would cost alot. Which is what is stopping me honestly.

W xx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I think some have made their way to the Netherlands by now, too. My friend Christine sent some there but I'm not sure if any were merle.

I am hopefully coming to London in a couple years and if I can at all afford it, I plan to take mice with me (American brindle, merle, splashed/tri) and bring some back (Red, rumpwhite, pearle). If I can't afford it, I probably will just keep saving up till I can since that's my main reason to go. :p

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
I would be interested in getting a few of us together to look at importing merles/splashed/tri

if there are some in germany or the netherlands, it is possible. just have to get the legalities right.

i'm unsure of rodent rules in europe, but i understand cats and dogs just needing a vet check within 48hrs of leaving the country as well as rabies jabs.

anyone know the rules for moving rodents?

as to transporting between the USA and Europe, i expect a lot more organising!

:)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Yeah, it takes months of planning but not as much as it might because mice are exempt from a lot of US laws due to their status as lab animals (labs import animals or parts of animals all the time). It costs around USD $1000 at the very least to import mice from Europe. I know some people who paid over USD $5000 by the time everything was said and done. I hope it's easier for y'all to do inter-Europe importation!

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
There is no quarantine no... just vet checks, plane tickets, couriers fee's.

Though I believe it is charged by 'box' of mice, rather than individual... just depends how many mice you fit in a 'box' LOL

W xx

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.