Breeding is like a box chocolates, you never know what you're going to get:

·
Registered
243 Posts
haha how cute :)

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Yeah, those parents look really rich, even on a background that doesn't really compliment them.
If you get a chance, take a picture of those two on a green background. That should really make them POP! :D

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
...hmmm...I wonder which one is the crunchy frog, or, for that matter the steel spring surprise?

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
moustress, the one in the center is usually the caramel filled one. And its always near the center and square in shape. I have mastered the art of finding the caramel in the box of chocolates. (Coincidentally, I now only buy the box of chocolates that is ALL caramels, makes things a lot easier).

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm late for tea with the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny. LOL

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Lovely pictures and lovely mice, nuedaimice :)

I agree with your funny sentiment. I can predict my litters very accurately, but I can't always know 100% what I'm going to get. Show mice, yes, Abyssinians, no. I have a sepia fox Abyssinian satin buck, I know his genecode - at/at c/cch D/d P/p rst/rst sa/sa - having worked it out from previous matings. He's had lots and lots of litters that I've predicted accurately, and yet in his latest litter he threw a champagne! That was a surprise. So now I know to add B/b to that long list as well :lol:

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
436 Posts
This absolutely made my day! :lol: I think the background definitely compliments them - that chocolate coloring looks stunning! And those little ones, each in one of the holes.. this is just too cute not to show to others!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you everyone, again.

lizashley, the only disturbing part are the two empty holes... Now who ate those babies? :lol:

Sarah, thats a lot of fun genes hidden there! This litter was between a Dove Tan and a Broken Agouti Tan. I was trying to determine if the doe was hiding umbrous (as I need it for another line of mice) and the breeder had told me she may be hiding it.

This litter confirmed what I had hoped! The only surprise I got was that mom was carrying a spotting gene (Irish - and it was a pleasant surprise this time). I got an Argente Tan doe, Black Tan doe, Agouti Tan doe, "Irish" Umbrous Agouti Tan doe, "Irish" Argente Tan buck, Umbrous Argente Tan buck, Umbrous Agouti buck. I want to try to breed the Irish to a specific pattern and try to get standardized in the U.S.

I was going to cull the litter further down, but now seeing what I have, I decided to keep the extras for now until I get my stock rebuilt. I just bought new mice after 3 years without and am trying to rebuild my lines with an assortment of things, none of them being perfect show examples, but I'll get there slowly. And I didn't get very many does, so I need most of the ones I'm getting, as long as they are, at least, decent in type.

Sorry I'm rambling, I'm excited about this litter. I have 2 other litters, one that I've culled to 4 already thats a few days younger. And one just born today... a whopping 16 babies! -Phew- I know mom is exhausted!

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Never can tell who munched the pinkies; from what I gather they must be awful darn tasty.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Never can tell who munched the pinkies; from what I gather they must be awful darn tasty.
-wipes mouse bits off the corner of her mouth- hmmm? what? Yea, I don't know WHO could have eaten them... I hear they are delicious, but I've never tried them myself... -cough- :cool:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.