Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I looooves agouti, and have some of my own(who hasn't). But I want to know how to make a better Agouti with just some poor agouti's. I've read on finnmouse that red, cinnamon or black tan can be used as outcross', but I wanna hear what you here on FMB says. :D

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I'd use only red heterozygous for agouti (Ay/A), agouti, or cinnamon.

Chocolate or black tan are the next best options. but then you will have animals who are A/a or A/at instead of A/A for a while.

Make sure that whatever you're using doesn't carry any blue, C-locus recessives, pink eyes, spots, non-standard coat-types, etc. Those things can take years to remove from a line once you introduce them.

Are you trying to improve color or type or both? If it's just color you're after, red might be the best bet. If it's both or just type, red isn't going to be the best--I'd go for cinnamon if possible.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that looks hard! everything here in DK carries a number of those "forbidden-genes".. :(

I don't wanna use Ay based colors, because of the healthproblems there comes with it :/

but i know a danish breeder who's breeding cinnamon, so maybe I should borrow one of her. :D

Jack Garcia You're the man! :p

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Haha! Thanks. :p

Don't feel bad--it's the same in the US (and, I gather, in the UK as well). So many hobby breeders breed their mice together with contradictory pairings that it makes it difficult when you want to do something well because you can't find a suitable outcross! The folks who do this almost always have good intentions, but it potentially makes improving any line with an outcross very difficult down the road both for themselves and for others. That's why I'm a big advocate of keeping lines as pure as possible, so that when you need them, you have them!

If you breed a red (Ay/*) to an agouti, most or all of the agouti babies will not have health-related problems; only the reds would. However, if the reds are poor mothers, that is passed on to non-red offspring (unlike obesity and diabetes).

So in short--there are pros and cons with whatever you use. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, I wouldn't use Ay in any way of my breeding, it is the mice who pays the price.

but what do the cinnamon do to the agouti color? make it redish(or what you guys use of fancy words..)

hope you understand, it's 3 am over here in dk :oops:

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Yeah, cinnamon can help make the agouti redder, but in future generations you may get cinnamons. It can also help even out the ticking if the cinnamon has better ticking than the agouti, which I've found (in America) is often the case...both agouti and cinnamon have a common tendency of uneven ticking and poor color distribution, but agouti is often worse, especially poorly-bred agouti.

Cinnamon and agouti are very complimentary colors and I know people who breed both in the same line.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Good luck with whatever you do!

Agouti is one of those varieties that is pretty common but is rarely done well. A good agouti mouse is definitely capable of winning the highest of awards. They're stunning animals, really. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know.. he's really dark, but i got him because he's SH aby/rosette.

And he's to dark for my taste, but I will still use him in the agouti breeding. :)

but if some his offspring is as dark as he is I won't use them to further breeding, i like when you can see if the mouse is agouti. :)

hope that it make sence :oops:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts