Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Does anyone have a good technique for keeping track of their stock?
For example does anyone have a naming method that allows you to know what the relatives etc a single mouse has?

Eg:
"A1" breeds with "B1" off spring "A1B1" breeds with "C1D2", which produces offspring of "A1B1C1D2" (well something along those lines).

· Registered
120 Posts
Just normal names. Plus I dont have that many mice, that I would not remember their parents.
Those number codes look great, but they would get too long...

"A1B1C1D2" breeds with "E1F2G1H2" result is "A1...". The basic idea is great, but some thinking needs to be done. Running numbers, but would it be possible to remember what the numbers mean, and what number meens what mice? You would still have to put everything in paper, or computer. So I think name or number, no difference. Well the names make them more persons, some find it harder to kill mice with names.

Wonder how the real big mouseries with lab-mice do that? I mean they HAVE to have some real working system.

But I do use the males names first letter for litters. If the father of the litter is Ron, babies will be like Romilda, Rennie, Rex... And when I start to get only R-names in pedigree, it's time to use other males.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah the naming would get long, that's why I decided to ask for how others do it.
I don't intend to use this for fancy mice, as I too do that by name. Its for something to do with conservation, where I may need to show linage to some others in order to preserve lineage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.