Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing midwife to my lovely boa for the second time at 10pm last night when a strange instinct told me to go and check on her!
She gave birth last year on June 18th to 25 live and healthy babies, last night i helped deliver 26 live and healthy looking babies :mrgreen:

Thought i'd share some pictures, rather grewsome but cute in a strange way :lol:

after a good clean up!

Next to one of their older siblings born last June :) excuse the container, she tipped her waterbowl over :evil: and the dirts on the outside of the waterbowl ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Already commented, but had to again :lol:

They're all so gorgeous :D Congrats, and well done! You getting experienced at snake midwifery haha :lol:

·
Registered
584 Posts
How exciting, do you have to open the sac for each baby snake or does mum do that bit and clean them up? They certainly brighten in colour during their first year as well as grow loads! Dad is very pretty indeed. Congrats on your pile of snakelings :)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Usually when they are born the sac tears open as she passes them, on the odd occasion they come out still sealed in the sacs...you can leave them to it, they will start pushing straight away, but i prefer to open the sacs as sometimes if the babies are weak they will drown in the fluid, its the same with egg layers, on due date it always best to cut a slit in the egg so the baby only has to pop its head out to take a breath :)

Mum has nothing to do with the babies once they are born, the babies once gathered some strength slither away which in turn cleans them up but i remove all the fluid and sacs from the container myself for the plain reason if you don't then the next morning the room will stink of gone off after birth and you'll have lots of dirty slimy babies :shock:

The yearling is a pastel boa, that is why the colour is so vibrant, i'm hoping for more in this batch too but their colours won't begin to show until they have shed a couple of times...the mother is a common boa morph, that nice fawn colour with yellow belly, and the father is a Corn island boa, which makes his almost black with a pink belly, but he does change colour throughout the year!

Rainbow boas are a different species, and i don't believe in hybridising, but i do have a rainbow boa and shes the soppiest thing in the world, still only a babba at 3ft though! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Very nice! Wasn't sure if it was the pic or what, but Dad appears to have that irridescent 'sheen' that Rainbows have. They are very pretty, ideed! I love them all, no matter the color. What a gorgeous clutch of babies you have! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's so cool, what a privilege it must be to see a beautiful animal give birth to spectacular babies. Isn't mother nature wonderful!?! :clap

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.