Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanted to know what I might get from this as I'm planning to put them together.
I know I'll get satin carriers just wondering about colours?
parents are light argent banded X varigated blck tan I think?? Angelmouse will know.
And silver tan satin X BE siamese. :)
And out of interest what might I get from blue vari X broken choc satin
parents of the broken are : gold broken satin X PE gold broken satin
Not sure if gold is the correct term, don't know what it could be mistaken for? :S
but I just would like a rough idea of what to expect. :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
i think you could get blacks... maybe some poor black tans... poss chocolates. and perhaps a few stones... you wont get 100% satin carriers.. you may get satin carriers but it will be impossible to tell untill mating those babies....

you wont get satins unless the other mouse carries satin... which is again impossible to tell, unless you have long long histroy...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
really? Someone told me in another thread i posted that satin X normal would give me 100% satin carriers ? :? I think it was sarahY. Is this not right then?
and when you say poss black, chocs etc will these be vari or do i need a vari carrier or nother vari to get them?

·
Registered
341 Posts
cait will be better at this... i'm not sure about how dominant varieagated is. i think its a lethal one for vari x vari so would have to outcross to a self for good results anyway, unless you crossed with vari for reduced litters...

satin to non satin will produce something like an average % of satin carriers, as far as i'm aware, even with satin x satin you can get non satin babies that arent guarenteed to be carriers.

someone else needs to get involved on this one i think

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Satin, stone and blue are all simple recessive genes, so if they are bred to non-carriers 100% of the litter will carry them:

Blue (dd CC SaSa) x Stone Satin (DD cece sasa) = Black carrying blue, stone and satin (Dd Cce Sasa)

ETA - there's quite a mix of colours in the background so you may get other colours, but both parents need to be carrying the same recessive gene for it to show.

Can't help with markings I'm afraid, hopefully someone will be along who can!

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
721 Posts
The does you got from me are:
Blue Variegated - Dad was Black Variegated / Mum was Argente banded. ( I was told the dad was a black vari when I got him, but was told that the offspring looked blue ;) )
Black Tan - Dad as above & Mum as above.

I have the brother of these two girls and it turns out he carries satin as he has produced a litter with some satins :) I do believe that you only get satin come out in some of the litter if both parents carry satin?
So it is possible that if you put a satin or satin carrier with one of these girls they may produce some satins for you :)

This is their dad

This is their mum (for ages I was unsure of her colouring but I can see she has a blue tinge under her top coat which Ive read on here means she is Argente, she has pink eyes)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Angelmouse said:
So it is possible that if you put a satin or satin carrier with one of these girls they may produce some satins for you
well that sounds interesting!! :D

SarahY said:
Blue (dd CC SaSa) x Stone Satin (DD cece sasa) = Black carrying blue, stone and satin (Dd Cce Sasa)
So does this mean that I'm most likely to get all blacks in the litter, unless theres a possiblity that one carries what the other has? A little confusing but I think I get it.
I'm guessing they will mainly be varigated too? I think its dominant?

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
So does this mean that I'm most likely to get all blacks in the litter, unless theres a possiblity that one carries what the other has? A little confusing but I think I get it.
Yep that's right :)

I think variegated is dominant, so half the litter should be varis.

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, could you just explain to me, why is it that I would get black from a blue X stone? is it because her dad is black, only I didn't think it would be that dominant as to carry on to the next litter? Or is it something to do with stone, I think I read up somewhere that its an extreme dilution of black? but i think i got this misunderstood :? jus trying to understand how it works now.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
In this case, black is like the base colour, and the other genes modify the black to look like other colours, so really both animals are black underneath their colour. The d gene (dilute gene) changes black to blue and the ce gene (extreme dilution) changes black to stone. Both parents need to have those recessive genes for the babies to show it as two copies are needed, one from each parent:

Blue - a/a (black) d/d (is blue) C/C (carries no c-related colours ie stone) Sa/Sa (doesn't carry satin)
Stone - a/a (black) D/D (doesn't carry blue) ce/ce (is stone) sa/sa (is satin)
= 100% a/a (black) D/d (carrying dilute) C/ce (carrying stone) Sa/sa (carrying satin)

Then if these babies were bred together:
Black a/a D/d C/ce Sa/sa x Black a/a D/d C/ce Sa/sa
= 75% Black and 25% Blue, Stone and Blue Stone (a pale black eyed grey), 75% normal coats and 25% satin.

If one baby was bred back to the blue:
Black a/a D/d C/ce Sa/sa x Blue a/a d/d C/C Sa/Sa
= 50% Black and 50% Blue, 50% normal coat and 50% normal carrying satin.

If one baby was bred back to the stone satin:
Black a/a D/d C/ce Sa/sa x Stone Satin a/a D/D ce/ce sa/sa
= 50% Black and 50% Stone, 50% normal coat carrying satin and 50% satin.

Because variegated is dominant not recessive, it only needs a copy from one parent to show and variegated can't be carried as a single copy of that gene will alter the appearance of the mouse to variegated.

I really hope this helps, I'm not very good at explaining stuff!

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No this is great thanks! I actually think i get it! lol, kind of anyway. I thought that might be the reason that their base colour was black but didn't really understand. lol thanks a lot :D :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts