Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I was cleaning cages the other day, I noticed that one of my mice, had an extremely large lump, that showed up very suddenly, on her side.

When this happens, I usually do a probe of the mass with a small needle, to determine what it is, and if anything can be done about it. When I probed this lump, I got a -lot- of dark, almost black blood coming out of it. I had no idea what that could mean, so I went ahead and put the mouse down.

Here are some photos of what I found when I autopsied her. You can see a live photo, where the lump is, a photo of where the lump was attached beneath the skin, and a photo of the lump next to the mouse.

I assume is was larger, before some of it drained from my probing. Also, it was nothing but blood, there was nothing else in there. Does anyone know what might have caused this? Or what exactly it is?

·
Registered
834 Posts
looks just like a Blood boil. i had a cat with one few years ago on his whisker bed. once it drained (popped was very messy) it healed up lovely.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blood boil? I've never heard of them.

I tried to drain it, but it was only coming out bit by bit, and then would stop.
I assume, that if something this large popped on a mouse, that it would be very messy, and possibly deadly? On a cat, you may not even notice a lump that size, but on a mouse, it's about the same size as her head. :/

·
Registered
834 Posts
its like a blood blister, use to get em on my heels when i wore bad sandles with heels. True i have no idea how it would affect a mouse the crater wound left on the cat was fairly big so on a mouse i think it would be huge. i think you did the right thing it may have healed in time but the wound would of been inpossible to keep clean and probly a secondry infection would of got the poor mousey anyway. Its just not worth the pain the mouse would of gone though. Hopefully you'll never see this again. On another note my vet told me the blood blister on the cat was probly caused by my other cat biting it or catching it with a claw when they play fight. So if it happens again in the same cage could be you have an aggressive mousey in there.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strange. I don't think the other mice in the cage would have bitten her. But I will keep an eye out.

One of her cage mates has been with her for a very long time, and the other, is definitely the most submissive of the cage.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hmm, what did the lungs look like upon autopsy? Were they enlarged, filled with blood, or abnormal in any way?

I think it might be a hematoma, but it's always good to assess the whole system as well as you can - many things can link together that many people are totally unaware of. Not that I'm a vet. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
When my dogs get heamatomas I use medicinal leeches to drain them.Heamatomas start off small and carry on growing for a few days as they fill with blood.They are soft,a bit like bubble wrap to the touch.Heamatomas are literally just blood blisters but big ones.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
pity you aren't in the U.K.I now have seven leeches and I can't warm to them,you could have had one to brighten up your living room.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts