Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just been offered several mice described as "black with albino heads". Has anyone heard of/seen coloring like this before? If I go pick them up I'll post pictures... I'm not sure if the person who has them is just mistaking them for a regularly broken mouse, I have no idea. :lol: She's trying to sell a bunch of her mice and I might take a few.

I'll let you know if they turn out to be something really weird or just normal. :roll:

Kimberly

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sounds weird, but I don't think there is no such thing.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I presume it's just a amrked mouse where the body is dark and there is no colour on the head area. Creative marketing? :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
374 Posts
it's a pet hate of mine when people give things the wrong name. it's not how they've described it as such, its the use of Albino. Just because something is white, doesnt mean to say it is albino. I wander though if they used it because it has pink eyes... in which case, how can they say it is black? I want a photo!
anyway, striding away from my pet hate :oops: ...Sounds like a hereford to me?

Vi x x x

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Id love to see a picture if they are what she says,black brokens have black eyes so they would be something new.My heart desires mice with odd eyes as in one pink one black.I know they occur but I've never had any ,only spoken to lucky so and so's who have bred and horror culled them.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I've always fancied an odd eyed mouse as well. I think they crop up in the herefords sometimes. Sarah, odd eyed hairless would be great! ;) I am willing to bet this person said albino and meant white though... Vi's right, people really mislabel things and confuse everyone - how disappointed some people must be when they learn what they really have :roll:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahahaha, sorry to get your hopes up. This is a perfect example why you never believe what anyone says on craigslist. :lol: He didn't have a speck of white on him! He was all black, black eyes, just he is nearly bald on the top of his head. NOT white. You should have seen my face- not exactly what I was expecting... It almost looks like it's just a patch of fuzzy hairless there. Not sure if he's unhealthy like that, or he's just weird. I'll post the picture I got when I'm back from work. He's about 6 weeks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
:lol: It sounded kind of fishy to me, especially on craigslist.

·
Registered
584 Posts
MouseBreeder said:
I've always fancied an odd eyed mouse as well. I think they crop up in the herefords sometimes.
Oooh, wonder if it related to the blazing? It's not uncomman to get odd eyed rats with blazed faces :)

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Yes I think it's something to do with the 'marked' pigmented area covering the eye or not where the blaze is. That made no sense to anyone but me did it? :lol: I'm sure someone will come along with a better way of explaining it or a link...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is the oh-so-impressive scruffy oddball. :lol: He's really sweet, despite how weird and un-original he turned out to be. Have any guesses on why he's missing hair on his head (I don't think he's middle aged, LOL)? The other mice are some of the ones that he "came with". They're pretty sweet once you pick them up, but definitely not as friendly as my mice.

I iz bald...

Oddball is definitely cute though- *smile*

Morsel - chocolate, I'm pretty sure.

Juliet on the left, Romeo on the right;

Buttercup, she's definitely cute. (well they all are)

Kimberly

·
Registered
156 Posts
It could maybe be mites, but I don't see that causes hairloss on only the black ones, and all in the same spot... LOVE Juliet btw. *steals*

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think...you know how they lick each others heads?? I recon its over zelous grooming! I think if it was mites he'd have scratched at it quite a bit, would leave scabs, and as far as i can see, there aren't any.

Vi x x x

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.