Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody here keep black rats/ship rats (Rattus rattus, not Rattus norvegicus)?

I was wondering because somebody asked me a few weeks ago where he could get some as pets, and I really had no idea they were even kept in captivity...

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I read a website once written by someone who had a pair of females. They had an indoor aviary type setup as they are very skitty indeed and need a big space to expend their energy. They seem to be a species to watch rather than interact with.

Don't know why people would have them when rattus norvegicus are such lovely squishy cuddlebums :D

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I have just ordered another huge cage for my future cuddlebums LOL I really hope my boys are more cuddley than my girls... sometimes they can be right little... rats =o/ hehe At least I have finally found some waterless shampoo for them, so i don't have to get soaked trying to bath them when stinky!! LOL

Anyways, sorry for jumping in your thread Jack! Here's a picture to make it better...

Though apparently, most 'Black Rats' aren't black... they are agouti hehehe

W xx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha...the pic doesn't work, but I was able to access the main site. Very cute! :)

I read of a green variety of Rattus rattus before the world wars, fancied in England in an old book I used to have as well as on Wikipedia.

The guy who asked me said he wanted them because they were "inbetween a mouse and a rat" but I told him that's what I usually hear about multimammate mice/natal rats/African soft-furred rats. After I clicked "send" I remembered that they're illegal here. And he never wrote back. :p

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every African mammal is illegal here...even my pygmy mice, which is just as well since they're not breeding for some reason and I only have three left.

I just think it's odd how laws meant to forbid lions and cheetahs and other dangerous mammals ends up mainly affecting things like multimammate mice and pouched rats.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
windyhill said:
I want a gambian pouched rat, but they are illegal here.
I wouldnt want a black rats/ship rat since they seem to be a hands off pet.I prefer rats I can handle and love on
Don't be fooled by people saying that pouched rats are lovable... they are extremely difficult animals to handle the majority of the time.
Don't get me wrong, they are gorgeous (HUGE! lol) and can at times be fabulously loving to thier owners... but this requires a 'bond' to be made.
Most of the 'bonding' success stories have been when people have got pouched rats from breeders well before weaning age, and hand raised them.

Most of the time, the pouched rats just tolerate thier owners.

One of the most successful breeders of the p-rat here in the UK, actually has an instruction page on her website for how to made 'armoured gloves' out of leather and metal to protect yourself while handling them!

They are gorgeous... but they are still very much wild animals.

W xx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WillowDragon said:
This is the crux of the situation with most small exotic African mammals. They've not been domesticated the way the mouse has (and the way the rat has), and they're still wild, or in the "[very] early stages" of domestication. They're akin to owning a wild wolf, just much smaller.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Jack Garcia said:
WillowDragon said:
This is the crux of the situation with most small exotic African mammals. They've not been domesticated the way the mouse has (and the way the rat has), and they're still wild, or in the "[very] early stages" of domestication. They're akin to owning a wild wolf, just much smaller.
Oh very much so! Only pouched rats aren't that small when fully grown, and could be more than capable of biting fingers off! :p Definately not for an inexperienced owner, or children.

W xx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.