Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I love siamese and also breed them, BUT they are red eyed, is there any way to breed a black eyed siamese without one, or should there be one before i can? we doesn't have them here in DK. :(

I'm still hanging a little bit loose in genetics, so please be gentle when you talk about genetic :oops:

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
I believe that shaded siamese have black eyes. I'd guess that lilac (dove) depending on which side of the pond you are on, would be the best shade, although I suspect they can some in a variety of shades. I had one ten years ago and she was a real beauty. Probably any color light enough to provide contrast with the points would work. A diluted blue shaded siamese sounds like it might be lovely as well. Here's a bunch of shaded siamese from the Finnmouse Varieties listings, with nice pictures.

http://www.hiiret.fi/eng/breeding/varieties/IV.html

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
The same gene combination that dilutes the fur to beige-ish (ch/ch) also dilutes the eyes to red/ruby.

Nearly ALL siamese mice are actually black-eyed genetically (P/P) due to the linkage of the C- and P-loci on chromosome 7. That is to say, when "ch" is inherited, so is "P," but the eyes don't look black due to the dilution mentioned above.

You may find black-eyed siamese in rats, but they're working with different alleles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jack
But can you make one without actually having a black eyed siamese..(hope that you can understand my baaad english :p :oops: )

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I think that you may be able to use the ce (beige) allele to create a pointed mouse with black eyes, if bred selectively. You'd need a mouse who had one copy of himalayan (ch) and one copy of beige (ce). That's what some rat people do, if I'm not mistaken...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jack Garcia said:
I think that you may be able to use the ce (beige) allele to create a pointed mouse with black eyes, if bred selectively. You'd need a mouse who had one copy of himalayan (ch) and one copy of beige (ce). That's what some rat people do, if I'm not mistaken...
well, is not the same, :p

Colorpoint is not me :oops:

I mean a siames with black eyes :oops:

are there some one in the UK who breeds them? :oops:

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Genetically, it's a colorpoint beige but bred very selevtively, it's phenotypically as close to black-eyed siamese as you'll get.

Interestingly, the NMC standard for Siamese allows for the eyes to be any color.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Jack Garcia said:
Genetically, it's a colorpoint beige but bred very selevtively, it's phenotypically as close to black-eyed siamese as you'll get.

Interestingly, the NMC standard for Siamese allows for the eyes to be any color.
They are all pink eyed,even though black eyes are allowed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jack Garcia said:
Nope. Not easily, at least! :p
Damn it! :p

I thought "well, there is black eyed siamese rats, then there must be black eyed siamese mice" :oops:

But nooooooooo... I have to take what there is :p

Thanx for the help.. :D

A little siamese question, some of my siamese mice have big spots around the body(if you know what i mean :oops: ) and some of my friends told me that it's because of the temperature.. don't know if it gave any sense :oops:

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Siamese mice are prone to molting (shedding large parts of their fur at once) and it often grows back in another color. If it's cold, the spot may grow in darker than the surrounding areas. If it's warm, it may grow in lighter. :)

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Genetically speaking, if you cross a siamese (ch/ch) with a beige (ce/ce) you would end up with a whole litter of black eyed siamese (ch/ce, otherwise known as colourpoint beige) - 'ce' brings the black eyes and 'ch' brings the points. Though I would think you'd need to selectively breed for a greater contrast between the points, shadings and body colour than there would naturally be, because there's only one gene for points whereas seal point siamese has two.

There's some info here: http://hiiret.fi/eng/breeding/varieties/colorpoint_beige.html. Finnmouse calls it colourpoint beige, but it's the same thing.

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Both himalayan and beige (but particulary beige) show great variability in depth of color so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see a phenotypically black eyed siamese bred out of that combination. It might take a couple years and a few generations though.

What would be difficult is that you'd have to keep large numbers of offspring because they wouldn't develop their points right away, and you'd also have lots of mice who were either regular beige (ce/ce) or regular siamese (ch/ch).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts