Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those who had only seen pink eyed and were curious.I'm afraid the red mice I have are touched with madness and were very hard to photograph,mad as hatters

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
They are such a rich color. I really like them.

Are they Ay? I know very little about Mo^br...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Awwwwww - so cute. I can't get mine to stay still long enough to take a photo (but I am c**p at photography).

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are they Ay? I know very little about Mo^br...
I'm afraid I am a genetic dumbo and am clueless about their genetic make up :? All I can tall you is that they are never out crossed and throw red and cinnamon in the same litter.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
That tells me enough, that they are probably red-based, then. :)

I'm getting a girl next month who is black-based. I'm hoping she breeds ok. I've never bred x-linked brindles but I've heard of others having difficulties with them. Yours are so pretty! :)

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't had any trouble breeding red brindles.I used to have all champagne and silvers which to my eyes were very beautiful.The combination of brindle and large
pale selfs proved to be difficult though and I've only got two left after battling on for a few years.The pale brindles often produced only one litter or litters with very few brindles.The reds manage 3 litters quite often so numbers at worst remain static and every now and again I have a brindle baby boom from them.

·
Registered
687 Posts
they are lovely. does the brindle always come out nice and even on them or can it show in just patches ( sorry if that sounds dumb but i dont have to much knowledge on these)

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they are brindled all over.Some colours,especially dark ones don't show the brindling very well and can be disappointing.Black ,blue and dark chocs are not very striking in general.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Sarah yours will be Ay, that's just the name for dominant yellow i.e. our reds and fawns. In the US they also have recessive yellow (e).

I like the red brindles, as I do the fawns. I think they are one of the most striking colours in brindles. Agouti, black, blue and chocolate are pretty poor as Sarah says because as they age the brindling disappears until they look like a poor example of their colour.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I like argente brindles, they look good with the white markings. However I haven't had any the 'right' colour because the argentes I got from another breeder just would not produce. I have got argente brindles that are a bit pale, and they are attractive despite this.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What do argente brindles look like?
I've got a young one at the moment as well as some fawns.Camera batteries are dead but as soon as I get some I'll post a picture.They don't appeal to me.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pink eyed brindles,including an Argente.The argente is near the front fawn with its eyes half closed.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Such a lovely bunch but I actually like the grey with black eyes the best, what colour is that? Silver grey?

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
its been bred from silver greys but the colour is a bit light.S.greys aren't popular which surprises me ,they always have lovely black beady eyes and are rather pretty.Moult marks hold them back from being winners though so I suppose thats the reason.I have quite a few in a range of shades.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
What I want to know is how you get the brindling on the lighter background. Your brindles are unlike any I have seen heretofore.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts