Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
12 weeks for does in general,a bit younger if they are fawn or red.I shouldn't think it matters to much for bucks as long as they are big enough.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
well I don't think living things are quite that specific.12 weeks is the generally accepted age but you have to give or take.I don't wait that long with my fawn does.leaving a doe unmated after 16 weeks can lead to problems in getting a pregnancy but there again it's not a rule as such.i've had plenty of successsful litters from does that were mated after the optimum age because I wanted to show them first.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
yes it's the fat factor.Obesity affects fertility as we are forever being told.Virginity is the ruin of them and unmated does quickly become xxl.They are really difficult to show as adults for the same reason.All those people who think it's cruel to do back to back breeding would think differently if fawns/reds were their variety,they are better bred like that in my opinion.9/10 weeks is good for does,they are excellent mothers even as youngsters.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am so glad I this topic was brought up, it has helped loads, thank you. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts