Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought my buck was beige from the descriptions online, but he's been paired with a brown mouse, a self black and a self lilac and all three litters had sooty yellows in them (among other things). Am I correct to assume that he is a RY carrier at this point? And am I incorrect at thinking he is beige, is he a light yellow himself?

Thanks, Amethyst

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
He's yellow. He probably carries (or displays) some c-dilutes or blue, which washes out his color.

This is what a recessive yellow mouse is supposed to look like: http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff1/ ... CN3086.jpg

(that's a friends picture so I just linked to it)

The type is not correct, and there are problems with the evenness of the color, but it gives you a good idea.

Edit: another possibility is that he is a brindle without stripes. That would explain how there are yellow babies in the F1 generation but I think that whether he's a brindle or recessive yellow and the does carry yellow, either explanation is very possible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes he has C-dilutes in him, here's what I keep getting from him, of course the moms are different and add to the mix too.

Brown doe, (is wild type brown called agouti, or just "wild type")
2 brown, 1 black, 5 blue, marked-1 blue, 6 black, 3 brown
and at least 3 long haired, but I have culled some before I could tell any others with long coats.
Because in 2 litters I haven't gotten yellow does that mean this doe isn't a yellow carrier, or could it appear in later litters still?

Another brown doe had a sooty yellow and a bad dove or light blue, silver? Those got culled cause the mom was bad and I couldn't find a foster.

A self lilac doe had 3 blue, 2 black marked and 1 very sooty yellow. I also think I have a rex or frizzled in this litter.

A self black had a blue, 1 black, 1 sooty yellow and 3 marked- black, light yellow, and brown.

No brindles, unless that one in the lilac litter turns out to be.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think he is a, d-delutet RY

Brown doe, (is wild type brown called agouti, or just "wild type")
2 brown, 1 black, 5 blue, marked-1 blue, 6 black, 3 brown
and at least 3 long haired, but I have culled some before I could tell any others with long coats.
Because in 2 litters I haven't gotten yellow does that mean this doe isn't a yellow carrier, or could it appear in later litters still?
from this I can tell that...
the doe is proberly: A/a B/_ C/_ D/d E/_ Lhg/lhg S/s
the buck is propperly: _/a B_ C/_ d/d e/e Lhg/lhg S/s
yes, you kan do a 100 litters and first in the 101's letter, get RY... but it is more likely that the doe is E/E then E/e thou.

("long hair" lacks undercoat in adults on body, identifyable from 5 weeks onwards.) angoran

Another brown doe had a sooty yellow and a bad dove or light blue, silver? Those got culled cause the mom was bad and I couldn't find a foster.
the doe is proberly.: A/a B/_ C/_ D/d E/e P/p
the buck is proberly.: _a B_ C_ dd e/e Pp

if we look at the code from the buck's first to letter's and add the new info on him, he has a kode that is.: _/a B_ C/_ d/d e/e P/p Lhg/lhg S/s

A self lilac doe had 3 blue, 2 black marked and 1 very sooty yellow. I also think I have a rex or frizzled in this litter.
the doe is proberly.: aa bb C_ Dd Gogo Ee lnln Ss Wlywly
the buck is proberly.: _a B_ C_ dd Gogo ee Ln_ Ss Wlywly

this meens that the doe is not the propper lilac, but a mock lilac, based on the Leaden gen (gene that mimics the Blue dilution). if she was a propper lilac, you will not get black in the litter.

if the rex/frizzled is tha same as the on in this topic.. http://www.fancymicebreeders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2796
I will say it is an angoran wooly
(wooly (wly). Spontaneous recessive, chromosome 11. For a breeder, a quite useless curling gene, which causes mice to have curls (but straight whiskers) around 4 weeks of age, reaching adulthood the coat is straight.)

if we look at the buck's new gencode, it is.: _/a B_ C/_ d/d e/e Go/go P/p Lhg/lhg Ln/_ S/s Wly/wly

A self black had a blue, 1 black, 1 sooty yellow and 3 marked- black, light yellow, and brown.
(is the brown on, brown like chocolat? or as the wild type brown?)

from this I can tell that... (if the brown i as the wild type)
the doe is proberly .: aa B_ C_ Dd Ee Ss
the buck is proberly.: A/a B_ C/_ d/d e/e Go/go P/p Lhg/lhg Ln/_ S/s Wly/wly

I hope i didn't loos you at some point in alle this. the gen-codes com from http://hiiret.fi/eng/breeding/genetics/chart.html it have don it warry good for me, hope it will bring you som good too.

If you godt lorst a long the way... just let me know, and i will se if I can tell it ind another way :lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oops, I thought c-dilute was blue... my mistake. I agree the buck is blue d-dilute ry.

this meens that the doe is not the propper lilac, but a mock lilac, based on the Leaden gen (gene that mimics the Blue dilution). if she was a propper lilac, you will not get black in the litter.
Is leaden in the US? I thought I had read someplace it was not.

if the rex/frizzled is tha same as the on in this topic.. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2796 I will say it is an angoran wooly
Yes, it is the same mousey. I went and sat down with him. He does have curly or crippled whiskers I just didn't notice it before. I'm breeding the parents again and see if I get another rex.

(is the brown on, brown like chocolat? or as the wild type brown?)
from this I can tell that... (if the brown i as the wild type)
Actually, it ended up being a rich yellow, that looked light brown then changed to tan when she was little but changed yellow now. The other yellow marked in the litter was lighter but has darkened to the same yellow shade now.

You didn't loose me, yet ;) Thanks alot that was a great help. It kind of made the light bulb go off in my head, "Oh, I see!"
I have been to the website you posted before, but not that page, that's great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jack Garcia said:
He's yellow. He probably carries (or displays) some c-dilutes or blue, which washes out his color.

This is what a recessive yellow mouse is supposed to look like: http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff1/ ... CN3086.jpg

(that's a friends picture so I just linked to it)

The type is not correct, and there are problems with the evenness of the color, but it gives you a good idea.

Edit: another possibility is that he is a brindle without stripes. That would explain how there are yellow babies in the F1 generation but I think that whether he's a brindle or recessive yellow and the does carry yellow, either explanation is very possible.
So I'm a little late but I'm curious Jack, but since when did you ask for use of my pics? I wasn't aware of any acquaintances or friends for that matter who asked for use of them. And lastly, no offense but the mouse needn't be judged by you for type, but was merely a photo to show in another forum what an RY covering agouti mouse whom I had hoped was really a red looked like.

Rain, from the pic my gut said undermarked brindle, but like others mentioned you'd have to do some test breeding which I see you have underway. Good luck :)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Sorry, Jennifer. I didn't mean to offend you. I didn't use your pic, though. I linked to where it was posted. In copyright law around the world, this is fair use.

For example, if you had a photo hanging in an art gallery, I could refer people to the art gallery without breaking any kind of convention by giving the gallery's address. Most art galleries, like the Internet, are public places so pictures there may be critiqued by on various points by visitors. If you don't want your photos discussed and commented on, you don't put them in the gallery (or on the Internet). I would be breaking law only if I deliberately presented the painting (or in this case, the photograph) as my own work or took it out of the gallery (website) without permission. I'm very smart, so I did neither. :)

If I have ever used any of your pictures, let me know and I'll take them down and apologize! It's certainly possible (I make mistakes, too) but I've done nothing improper here.

P.S. I work for an Art Gallery. ;)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
You are right in sentiment, of course. I always follow the letter and sometimes forget about the spirit, which is often not as evident to me. Thanks for pointing that out. I appreciate it. Credit in a case like this is otiose when the name of the person is evident in the URL, though. Nonetheless, in case it is still not clear to anyone: this picture at the address pointed to above belongs to Jennifer Hipsley (user name "jenniferhipsley") and not to Jack García, (user name "Jack Garcia"). :)

I also stand by the original statement that the color is a better example for recessive yellow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts