Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi just started out with mice
just a few questions to help me out

firstly whats the difference in show mice and pet mice(apart from showing them and price)

is line breeding putting siblings back to parents to better something ie colour or what not
whats it mean when people say they want to start their own line (isnt it already a line that someone else has started)

thanks alot mike

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
There's a lot of difference in show mice verses pet mice. Here's one example of size:

Show mice generally have more docile temperaments, are much larger overall so they eat more, and some (though not all) have slightly shorter lifespans. As you can see from the picture, due to their 100+ years of breeding to standard, they also have very different body proportions. I personally think they are not as intelligent overall, but I don't know how you would measure that reliably.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Hi Mike :)

There's really no difference in price, but there is a huge, huge difference in the mice themselves. It's like comparing a thoroughbred racehorse to a Shetland pony :) There's a few pictures of show mice next to pet mice somewhere on here, I'll see if I can find them...

...Can't find them, I'll have another look later. Or maybe Jack or Mousebreeder can post some pictures, I know they have them.

Yes, that what linebreeding/inbreeding is. When people say start their own line they mean to get mice from difference sources, each with a quality that they are looking for, and mix it together into one line.

Sarah xxx

ETA: While I was posting, Jack's posted the pictures. Thanks, Jack!! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow thats huge
thats proper shocked me lol
well im hopefully getting some show type mice on sun will post pics when i have them

thanks alot for the info its greatly appreciated
thanks mike

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
The biggest of the show type mice are usually the pale self mice (Pink Eyed White, Champagne, Silver, Dove), one of which is used in that photo above.

Generally show blacks, blues, tans, lilacs and satins are 'slightly' smaller.

And marked mice, like rump white, broken marked, even marked, hereford and dutch, are much smaller than that! hehe

So depending on what type of show mouse you are getting, don't be too disappointed if they are not 'rat sized' LOL

W xx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
You're very welcome. The brindle mouse was a young adult, the PEW was an adult (owned and bred by WNTMousery, I must point out!), but they're indicative of mice of their type.

I don't know how it is in the UK, but in the US, you have to use some caution when somebody's selling you show mice, because what a lot of people call "show mice" are actually mongrels, who have significant pet-store stock in their recent pedigree. Don't get me wrong: some of them do have nice type, but there are probably fewer than 8 or 10 people in the US who have mice descended solely from show mice. I get the impression that there are many more breeders of pure mice in the UK. I could be wrong, of course.

Willow: I only have one mouse who approaches (small) rat sized. He's around 100 grams and just under 12" long. He has babies now so I'm waiting to see how big they get. :p

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Hehe I have a cham boy who is just over 11" long, and many younger ones getting that way. (Jaaack, I will be getting some fantastic new stock in on saturday, I will have to do a photoshoot for you, you may die with jealousy Hehee)

And yes, there are alot of show type breeders in this country, so more oppertunity to get them over here... but you need connections to the show world (Either by talking online to actually attending shows) to get to know the right breeders for the variety you want. And of course recognising good type is important to know what your buying is good and not someone fobbing you off.

W xx

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Jack has chosen the show albino which is typically the biggest show mice found anywhere, next to a small brindled mousie. the really difference in size is noticeable, to be sure, but falls considerably closer to a midline between though two examples shown.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Actually, the PEW Jenny bred was actually just extraordinarily huge. The biggest mouse I've ever held or seen. His name was Larry.

Getting pictures with two mice in the same position really requires two people and four hands, so the next time I have somebody to help me and there are pet store mice available, I will try to get pictures of adult petstore mice compared to adult PEWs (the largest and best-typed show mice) and adult blacks (some of the smallest). If I remember I will use a ruler, too. :p

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wow, that photo is amazing, didn´t know the size difference could be this much!

Jack Garcia, yes please post the photo if you take one of pet store mouse, regular show mouse and a large show mouse, it would be very interesting and fun to see :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
and also does anyone know anyone willing to sell me a blue doe or siamese doe as I want to breed show mice so want some good stock to start with
Plus can u buy show mice from the shows or is it just for showin
Thanks mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.