Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use for the bottoms of your cages? I use wood shavings which have the dust extracted, but have had meeces that get breathing probs. Is this due to bedding or could it be another reason? Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use flax. No dust, toplayer stays dry when the spill water from the bottle. It's makes it cheaper, because now I only clean ones a week. With woodshavings it could be 3 times a week!
It also smells nice even when I have to clean the cages.

I also used aubiose, but I'm allergic to it, so that was once and never again. My mice like it, just as must as flax.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Whereabouts are you? It may be worth checking the phone book as you do sometimes find equestrian suppliers in or near towns.. you could also try in a riding stables as they might sell one to you or be able to get a bale in for you.

Otherwise, it'll last you so long it may be worth going out of town to pick some up...

Paul

·
Registered
77 Posts
Buy from here
I can't find any of the other places online...I'm petty sure UKpetsupplies sell it...but it's about £20 not including shipping.

Or there are tin amounts for a hell of a lot more on eBay...I wouldn't recommend that:
a: the amounts ARE tiny
b: it IS expensive
c: the only seller selling at the moment was supposed to be sending me some a week and a half ago.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
i live in the city and my petshop orders it in for me.aubiose is the brand leader,there are others Snowflake for instance.all are floor coverings for stables so any outlet that caters for equines should have aubiose or an equivelent.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Marjolijn said:
I use flax. No dust, toplayer stays dry when the spill water from the bottle. It's makes it cheaper, because now I only clean ones a week. With woodshavings it could be 3 times a week!
It also smells nice even when I have to clean the cages.

I also used aubiose, but I'm allergic to it, so that was once and never again. My mice like it, just as must as flax.
Can you post a pic of Flax please I have looked on the internet but cannot find a pic of it for floor coving use, cheers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hemcore is another hemp bedding it's not as clean as Aubiose as in it has grassy bits in and can be a bit dusty near the bottom of the bale I use it from time to time when I can't be bothered to drive all the way to my supplier just for a bale of Aubiose.
Mice don't seem to care which I use.
But for the same price Aubiose seems to last way longer as it's pure chippings whereas Hemcore is bulked out with matted grassy bits.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Easi-bed is another one,virtually the same as aubiose.If you only have a few cages catsan natural wood litter for cat boxes is excellent but would cost to much if you have a lot.Not only is it non dusty and absorbant it helps with odour.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I use Aubiose and have done for a few years. I've tried lots of others but nothing has been anywhere near as good. I hate Easibed as it's not very absorbent and quickly becomes damp in cages and even went mouldy underneath where the urine had soaked down into it (within a week, which is how often I clean out!).

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
I guess it goes to show how different all our view points are.I find easi bed,snowflake and aubiose all much of a much really and use whichever is available when I do my pet food shopping.I only clean fortnightly and haven't encountered problems with any of the makes.

·
Registered
721 Posts
sarahc said:
I only clean fortnightly and haven't encountered problems with any of the makes.
I take it you dont have your mice in the house then if you only clean them out fortnightly? I have some of mine in the conservatory, I have to air it out before I go in there sometimes because it smells and sometimes that like only a few days after cleaning, I clean once every week or before if its really smelly. I think if it smells that bad to me just think how bad it smells to them! Mind you I have just bought some Aubiose, so will see how it really rates soon enough :)

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
I have a few in the house along with odds and sods of other rodents.These I clean weekly.The others are in the shed and get done fortnightly.Incidentally when I used to clean all out weekly I think more litters got eaten even though I didn't disturb the nests of new borns.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Weve used the dust extracted wood shavings for years and have never had any problems, but were thinking of trying some others out now as were moving further away from the shop that sells the shavings and we might aswell order in something else in bulk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts