Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
I have a first time mum and I never know what would be the best sort of bedding to put my girls on when they are nesting. all of my other (non pregnant) mice are on shreded/ripped paper which seams to work quite well. Was given the hay a week ago (sealed dust free) still not sure how well it will works I have mixed it half half with the paper.
Anyway back to my little/big girl dose anyone have any suggestions for best nesting bedding?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats good to know. Thanx. I was also wondering would it be ok to keep the wheel in with my preg girl untill she pops? she is getting big now but she still fits in the wheel fine and it is very close to the ground 0.5cm if that. Its just all that bouncing and running around might damage the babies or am i being an over concerned parent lol Also after the babies come can I leave it in untill the babies start to move around and just take it out on a night? I only ask as she loves her wheel and its good exercise apart from when she is out of the cage.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I'd remove it as some mice think it's a good idea to have babies under the wheel, not the safest place in the world, especially if the doe then tries to use the wheel! However if you take her out of the cage and offer her the wheel in a spare tank while you're inspecting the babies that would be ok.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi our babies are over 4 weeks old now and we used pets at home recycled paper bedding the green stuff and it was fine for them. We are still using it. With regards to the wheel personally I would leave it in mice love their wheels I have silent spinners for ours, I've never had a mouse give birth under a wheel they know where is best to have them away from danger in the safety. We have bred hamsters for over 12 years and never had a hamster give birth and have her babies under the wheel. Mummies like to get their figure back quick hehe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.