Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pregnant doe that has taken up barbing.
Is there any danger to her litter once she has it?
After I removed her from the buck, I noticed his whiskers were gone and sure enough, when I checked her cage mates, their whiskers were gone as well.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She has several toys (I switch them around ever so often, so they dont get bored.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
I get a lot of barbering in my champagne tans.Mothers that barber do it to the young but I've never known any to be harmed.As soon as the babies are weaned I remove the litter and the fur quickly returns.My only doubt is that this behaviour may be learnt.I have crossed cham/tans into my fawns and now there is a higher incidence of barbering in them.You'd have to conclude that its better really not to breed from them but who wants to cull pregnant animals.Not me.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never noticed any signs of barbing until after she was already pregant, otherwise I wouldnt of bred her, but I dont want to cull her since she is due any day now.
I try to plan 2 prengant/nursing does at the same time so I can have a surrogate,but the other doe doesnt look as far as long as her, so Im not sure if I'll have a surrogate or not for her.
Well, this is her 1st and last chance, if she kills the babies,etc, then I'll cull her.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, she had 7 babies and she ate them all but 1 over 2 days and I had to cull the last one becouse she hadnt been nursing it and I didnt have a surrogate this time around(the other doe wasnt pregnant, like I hoped)
I culled this doe.

·
Registered
834 Posts
oh dear is barbing bad, i think one of mine does it but its not the wiskers its the top of only one doe's head shes a fuzzy too so it looks worse, but she doesnt get sore. i thought it was only over grooming. if its bad i could try and put somethime nasty tasting on her head to stop it

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have had this-it is prevalent in some strains. I have never tried it, but an old hand once said that if you cut her wiskers off with a pair of scissors, she will never do it again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts