Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a new mouse just over a week ago. During the night we hear a lot of squeeking and see Pixie (the new mouse) chasing one of the others. No blood has been drawn, but we have noticed that the others have no whiskers, or part whiskers, and one looks like she has bald pathces either side of her nose.
It has been suggested that Pixie could be barbering. What exactly is this? And can pixie learn to live with other mice? I am thinking of giving her away with another mouse, but obviously dont want another mouse to be distressed by her.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
well of course it's impossible to say how losing your whiskers feels.Whiskers do have a function.Other than that I'd say it was a minor problem health wise,just makes the shaven individuals look odd.I personally wouldnt breed from a doe that does it,not so bad if it's a buck because they can be removed.More of a nuisance than anything.

·
Registered
177 Posts
those mice must live in big groups in a big cage, so not only one one ather mice are without vibrissae.

so some mices will be get shorter hairs, but not so districtly.

mices in a big cage will give them up, but i isn't shure that she will be hold on to to this...so you can't go the right way, because there isn't anyone how are realy right :S

lg viv

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
well I don't think it's a case for capital punishment.Just based on the barbering I don't think living alone is necessary. us people hate to look in our cages of animals that we care for and see a problem staring back.Very annoying .

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
If you want I have a doe who also barbers her cagemates. She is about 5-6 months old now and has had one litter, but I will either have to find her another home or cull her, as I can't have her taking the whiskers off the mice I want to show. She is only still with me because she's such a beautiful stone with huge eyes :roll: She could live with the other barberer you have if you want.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've had some issues with barbering and it seems to strike when the doe is in the early stages of pregnancy or shortly after giving birth, which is very annoying. I have in the past just culled these does but the last few cases I chucked in with my old retired does as I have a very dominant doe in there who I thought would sort them out a bit. Anyway that seems to have worked.

It would be better to cull the mouse than to keep it alone, especially a doe that would be really sad.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Strangely we had a large group of does and not one of them had barbered in the past (even with new introductions)...we added 2 satin does who they accepted well, but each began barbering terribly and now the poor things are whiskerless. We joked it was because they loved the feel of the satin coat so much, Im not sure why itd happen otherwise!
They are retired does and the satins were young at the time, maybe they just got too motherly :?

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
MouseBreeder said:
If you want I have a doe who also barbers her cagemates. She is about 5-6 months old now and has had one litter, but I will either have to find her another home or cull her, as I can't have her taking the whiskers off the mice I want to show. She is only still with me because she's such a beautiful stone with huge eyes :roll: She could live with the other barberer you have if you want.
This doe has now gone to live with the original barberer, kindly taken to Enfield show by sarahc.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have exactly the same problem with one of my does and its gotten so bad that my others are now sore from her doing it
so much. I've now put her in her own cage for now and hoping a week or 2 in there will help her get out of the habit.
But shes done it ever since I got her, and she only just recently started on the others in the cage which is why I know
its definatly her. It really is annoying. :roll:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the stone doe Mouse Breeder, she is lovely. They are getting used to each other as we speak, and harmony has been restored in my old tank. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly from here.
Was nice to meet so many of u at the show. And well done to the winners and thanks Sarahc for bringing the doe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.